Friday, April 11, 2014

Inspired by Lisa Spangler!

I have been a fan of Lisa Spangler since I started stamping in the online community (circa 2009)! A few days ago, Lisa made a beautiful card for the blog hop (see here) and I was so inspired by her card. Isn't this scene amazing? Lisa's combination of stamps is superb! I adore the night sky that she created.
 I Love You More Than All the Stars by Lisa Spangler
By Lisa Spangler

I got my tree stamp out and played! This is the result.Sending Love 
I started with a very large piece of watercolor paper and created the background with water and distress inks. Then I stamped the tree in black and then clear-embossed the tree. The tree images were not perfectly lined up, thus you can see the white shadow (which is alright , in my view). Once that's done, I took out a new Heidi Swapp stencil and used the white  embossing paste (mixed with Picked Raspberry Distress Ink) to create pink hearts around the tree. After the paste dried, I applied Stickles with a paint brush. I then added my latest craze-- hand-stitched gold thread. The sentiment is from Simon Says Stamps (Handwritten).

Ding---> when creating a fully water-colored background, I find that the key to is to use a much larger piece of water-color paper (when possible). That way, you can choose just the section that looks "perfect" for your design. For this card, I used about half of a standard piece of water-color paper. I trimmed off all the edges (as the inking was splotchy) and chose the section that suits my design.

Thanks to Lisa's inspiration, I now have this card that I love and will send to someone special!
Thanks so much for stopping by!

33 comments:

Tenia Nelson said...

Awesome creations!!

Barb said...

Wow, V! Your take on Lisa's card is so beautiful! The watercolor background looks amazing and I love the added hearts! ♥

Linda R said...

Your card looks wonderful. I do love the background you created. So Pretty..

Hugs~

Dawn Turley said...

Very pretty Virginia. Great idea about using a larger piece of watercolour paper.

Niki G said...

So gorgeous! That background is super pretty and love the white silhouette look of the tree...and the embossing paste with stickles...FAB!!!

donna mikasa said...

So beautiful, Virginia! I love your watercolored background and those stenciled hearts are the perfect touch!

aaga said...

V, this is beyond beautiful! And thanks for all the tips. I hope to create with all the great tips I've collected this week like a mad woman this weekend. :-D

Sheila H said...

Your background is awesome, Virginia. The white shadow from the double stamped tree is a beautiful effect - it evokes a glow. Love the pink hearts - the texture and dimension add a nice pop.

joy said...

Beautifully designed card, Virginia! I love your gorgeous background and the scene you have created. The gold stitching is beautiful.

Michele said...

I always love coming here to see what you are up to! You do such amazing work!

Lin said...

Beautiful, Virginia! I especially love the stitching under your sweet sentiment!

Miriam Prantner said...

What a gorgeous take on Lisa's card! I love the colors you chose, the stitching and those sweet hearts!

jintyoo7 said...

WOW! Virginia - this is beautiful - from the sewing underlining the sentiment to the "swishes' in your inking and the beautiful hearts - LOVE!!

Carol McCready said...

Loved her card on the Hero Blog.
Your card is gorgeous and a perfect take on hers.

Tracey McNeely said...

Virginia this is gorgeous, love your water coloured background!

conil said...

Your scene is amazing...love the color, the offset on the tree is perfect and those little hearts are just adorable. But my fave is that incredible background you've created. WOW!

Barb Ghig said...

Such a beautiful take on Lisa's card! I love your water colored background...the colors are so pretty, and your pink hearts are so fun! I love how they add a touch of whimsy and texture to your card!

Thanks so much for inspiring us to combine both techniques! Gorgeous card, Virginia!

Cindy C. said...

What a beautiful scene!!

Alanna said...

These are both so beautiful. I especially love the colors in the second one.

Joni nina Andaya said...

WOW!!! Love...Love...Love Gorgeous work of art. Hugs <3 Have a FAB weekend Virginia :)

Leni said...

Gorgeous background, and what a beautiful tree!

Petti said...

Pretty watercolour effect!

Clare said...

That background is just lovely, Virginia! Love the inspiration you drew from Lisa - just stunning!

sideoats + scribbles said...

Love this so much, Virginia! Just gorgeous!!!!! And you are too sweet! xo

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Love love your card!

Mary-Anne V said...

Such a pretty background snd nice details with the stitching and hearts...thanks for the painting tip.

Bobby said...

Your card is beautiful and a perfect CASE of Lisa's.

Annette Allen said...

WOW both of these are STUNNING.. love the floating hearts and the scene on the first is just perfect.. love that tree.. thanks for the inspiration...

Laura B. said...

So cool! My favorite part is those hearts!!! And that little bit of stitching!

~amy~ said...

Love seeing how you were inspired...awesome card!

Karen said...

such a fun card mf.
I wanted to tell you how really wonderful it was to see you at Scrapfest. You are a superstar in my books and glad we are friends. I just wish I would have been able to stay longer and hang out with all of you. Maybe next year. Hope you had a fun time. Nice to see that more of the stamping world is coming to Canada.
hugs mf,
Karen

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Stunning! The sentiment and hearts are just perfect!

cm said...

Only one word: GORGEOUS. Repeat x a zillion!
c