Friday, May 16, 2014

Working with Border Stamps

Just popping in for a fun share today. I love all kinds of stamps, but I find that border stamps are generally the unsung hero amongst all stamps.

Here is an example where I used-Penny Black (Twirls)
twirls picture
It is easy to stamp these two cling stamps in one solid color and make borders...that's what I would do when first seeing this type of stamps. BUT I decided to do something a little different.

Since water-coloring is still so trendy/popular and easy to do, I tried coloring around the images.
1. Stamp the borders all over the background and clear emboss the images
2. Apply Distress Ink with water and color-brush the images (the main reason is to create a coloful background, so you do not need to be an expert in coloring)
3. Stamp sentiment ( My Favorite from Hero Arts) on pattern paper (My Mind's Eyes) and add strings and sequins.
4. Use pop dots for the dimensions
I hope that this card inspire you to try using border stamps more.I'm so glad I have you in my life
 Please stop by tomorrow as I have a guest design post over Penny Black :) 
Thanks for stopping by!

24 comments:

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Gorgeous!

Laura B. said...

such a gorgeous watercolor look on this card! Lovin' your use of string and sequins!!

Barb said...

Wow! That looks amazing, V! Gorgeous watercoloring and I love the string and pretty sequins! ♥

Pat said...

I actually have some border stamps that I was looking at and thinking, "I need to use these in a new way"...thanks for the idea! I'll have to see if I try it, too!

Dawn Turley said...

simply delightful Virginia. A technique I need to try out.

donna mikasa said...

I love how you created a beautiful background with the border stamps! And you do have a way with string and sequins, too!

Annette Allen said...

love what you did with the border stamp... gorgeous background.. fabulous card.

Shelly said...

GORGEOUS!...sigh...

Ginny said...

Beautiful card! And I would never have imagined you did it with border stamps. I definitely want to try this technique - feeling very inspired! xo

Cris G said...

Oh, I love how you built your background with this beautiful border stamp. Simply awesome!

Miriam Prantner said...

Beautiful! I love the color around the borders to make them stand out!

Deepti said...

Beautiful is the word !!

lenny said...

STUNNING!!!! Wow!! Love this!!!

Yvette said...

So beautiful! Great technique, must try this!

Cindy C. said...

It's wonderful, what a great way to use those border stamps!!

Alanna said...

Wow Virginia this is stunning. I love the results you got.

Sheila H said...

Just plain spectacular, Virginia!

Petti said...

This is great!

Kristie Goulet said...

EEEK! I LOVE this Virginia! So pretty!

Susanne Vargas said...

Very cool technique! I'll have to try that! You should be one of the teachers at the class!

Ashley Nguyen Newell said...

So beautiful! I love the watercoloring!

alexandra s.m. said...

amazing what you've managed to do with that set (not the easiest to use in my opinion)
a beautiful card it is my Friend! and again, I'm thrilled you are working with Penny Black products ;))

Bethany Stellpflug said...

woah Virginia...how cool to put the thread over the sentiment! love it! :D

cm said...

What an innovative way to use your border stamps to make your own dp...brilliant!!
c