Sunday, June 29, 2014

Alcohol Inks Tutorial with a VIDEO!

 I made a video (Yes, Virginia made a video!) and photo tutorial for you today! So....recently I re-discovered a few "tricks" with alcohol inks while I was playing with collage stamps.
I got brave to do a video tutorial! Yay, go me! However, I am a big klutz, so you will see some bloopers in this video! When Dr. John first saw my video, he laughed so hard that he choked himself...! Thankfully he was OK...oh the excitement of making this video was simply priceless! If you do like it, perhaps with your encouragement, I will consider making more videos....

 You can watch it here on  You Tube
(watch out for the bloopers at 1:52)

I think the result turned out fine despite the ink spills! I actually l had to stand to make this video! With the tripod and camera in between me and the craft table was really cumbersome! I need to
change that if I want to continue to make videos...
015

Here is the photo tutorial with a different stamp (Garden Letter) that helps you to understand/see my creative process.

1. Gather supplies: Alcohol Inks (more alcohol inks were used, not shown in photo), Glossy paper, Alcohol Ink Blending Solution, felt scraps (Michael's), Ink Applicator
2. I plan/guesstimate on where I would stamp on the Glossy paper by using Fiskar Stamp Press 
3. Use a pencil and lightly mark the area
4. Use Sticky paper to mask the borders ( I have tons of Tylenol paper pad thanks to Dr. John's office)

5. Ink up the blue alcohol inks (with Blending Solution) first.
 6. Apply the bright pink/purple colors around the flowers and butterfly area.
 7. With a previously made mask (with the bird and butterfly cut out), I inked up the bird in yellow.
 8. After removing the masked borders, this was what it looked like after inking.
It didn't look like much at this point...
 9. Stamp the image (Garden Love by Penny Black) in Cup O' Joe ( Hero Arts), then magic happens!
 10. Do some re-touches ( only added the bright colors for the flowers)
 This was the final result--Ta da! An artsy farsty collage card! I am now on the hunt for this Alcohol Fillable pen marker (see here). I know I would have fun playing with it.

  I popped up the stamped butterfly for extra dimension and interest. I think the original inking turned out a bit too messy.
happy everything
 I think this technique works well with collage stamps as the coloring doesn't have to be precise. The reason I stamped the image AFTER applying the alcohol inks is because the stamped image would be smeared/distorted when alcohol inks are applied (due to the Alcohol Ink Blending Solution).

 Practice is the key! Spend time playing with alcohol inks really helps. I hope that you find this tutorial helpful. Thanks so much for stopping by!

48 comments:

jordanbev5@yahoo.com said...

Gorgeous technique!

Tonya Jastad said...

Great job! Both of these cards are beautiful!

Niki G said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I thought I missed the blooper...you totally covered it up and the end result is stunning!

Barb said...

These cards are gorgeous, Virginia! And I am so happy you shared a video too - YAY!! So much fun to watch the process!

I also love that you were a little clumsy because that's the exact kind of thing that happens to me all the time! You definitely have to do more videos! ♥

Tracey McNeely said...

Virginia these are fantastic. What an awesome intro to your new You Tube world. You make it look so effortless--great job my friend, the results are so cool!

Dawn Turley said...

Awesome tutorial and video Virginia. Your cards are stunning. The artsy look is just beautiful. Love the bright colours of the alcohol inks, and if you hadn't pointed out the boo-boo I would never have know just looking at it!

Kathy H said...

Beautiful! I have only a few alcohol inks and have never used them much but this makes me want to! Thanks for the inspiration!

Pamela said...

This os amazing! It's gorgeous colouring with alcohol inks. You made it look so easy in your video! I think the ink spill made your artwork even more beautiful!

Linda Wilkinson said...

Wow you are amazing just love the video thank you for sharing but next say hi ok!!! love ya♥

Jacqueline said...

You just stole my heart with that video, Virginia - just be you!!
Love these amazing cards which have been pinned for sure!!

Amy said...

Holy cow that was GREAT!!!!! What a cool idea!!! And I LOVE how you worked around the spill!! Thanks!!!

luvhymns said...

I came for the neat and tangled hop but was mesmerized by the color lay out. The video was great and what a neat card background idea. Thanks so much!

Joni nina Andaya said...

Fantastic!!! Love every bit of it :)

donna mikasa said...

Just came over from YouTube and I managed to eat a few bites of popcorn! ;) Left you a comment there as well and all I can say is that now I want to get inky with alcohol inks!

Kristie Goulet said...

Great video, Virginia! Thank you so much for sharing your creative process with alcohol inks. Very fun. Love your cards. Great OOOPS cover up too! hee hee xo

Maureen Merritt said...

Great video. I've never played with distress inks like that, I'm inspired!!! Love how you made your oops work :)

Lin said...

Thank you so much for these great tutorials, V! (and I think the spills just added to the overall result!) - can't wait to try this, hopefully this afternoon! Love your results!

Deepti said...

This is gorgeous, love the photo and video tutorial :) will try this for sure and blooper wasn't bad at all :) I enjoyed ur video !

Krista W said...

Great video! So glad you kept in the 'blooper' - we all have crafty mishaps, the key is turning them into art - you did a fabulous job :) You really have an eye for that stamp, everything lined up perfectly.

Betty Keefe said...

both your cards are wonderful - love how you fixed the blooper and the tip on stamping the collage after using the alcohol inks.

conil said...

You go girl, or should I say videographer. Loved your tutorial...it's good to know I'm not the only person who spills things. Seriously though, think these collage cards are lovely. And now I know how you control the process. Amazed that you were able to do this standing with a tripod & camera in front of you. Yikes!

Linda T said...

Beautiful card. Love the background, the stamp and love how you made it all come together so nicely. Thank you for the video.

Miri said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm very glad that you added the pictures because I can't watch the video over here =(

Yana Smakula said...

great video, Virginia! And fantastic colouring too!

Cornelia W said...

Beautiful effects you created - thanks for the tutorials - personally I prefer photo tutorials, but that's just me...

Laura B. said...

Oh my word!!!! I love watching you create through video SO much better than a photo tutorial. It's like I finally "get it" what you are doing with those alcohol inks!!! Absolutely gorgeous colors and design!! More, more, more...Bravo!

Barb Ghig said...

You did an AMAZING job on your first video, Viginia...Congrats to you! Your cards are absolutely beautiful, and I love seeing how you create your patterns with alcohol inks...so fun!

Thank you so much for sharing your video with us...I hope you will consider doing more...and I would love to hear your voice, too!

Barbara said...

Thanks for the video! The cards are gorgeous and I'm going to get my alcohol inks out after seeing this. Please make some more videos!

Rahmat said...

Love it, will love even more if I can hear you talk hehe..just a few words! I will surely try out this, thank you for sharing, and yes of course you should do more videos :D

alexandra s.m. said...

so so inspiring Virginia!
Thank You so much for all your work and the time it took you to edit and share!
Much appreciated ;)

Shelly said...

GORGEOUS!!! Loved your video! And I now know, I'm not alone on spilling things! lol ;) Thanks for sharing!

Annette Allen said...

thanks for sharing how you created this gorgeous card.. I love it...

LauraJane:) said...

So good to see a video from you Virginia! Ink, blender,and blot! I might be able to handle this:)) Playing around looks like it is the key. and bloopers Happen...you covered your very well!

Miriam Prantner said...

I loved the video, and bloopers are an everyday occurrence in my crafting life, so I can relate, but you really can't tell at all with the finished product!

stamping sue said...

I think you did a fine job on your video! remember there are no mistakes in stamping just happy accidents!!
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Carol McCready said...

The cards turned out gorgeous. Gave the video a Thumbs Up.

Heather North said...

How in the world did you get that butterfly so perfectly placed with a red rubber stamp? WOW! I loved this video and I hope you will do many more. It was fun watching the process.

Sheila H said...

Awesome, Virginia! I loved watching you make this gorgeous card. More videos, please :)

Mari√ętte said...

Beautiful cards, and thanks for showing your technique how to create it!

Karen D. said...

You go gf...great video. It is hard to work in a small space on top of a tripod...beautiful card too.

Nora N. said...

What a fun video!! I actually liked that you made the mistake in the video because I DO THAT ALL THE TIME. I am always figuring out a way to hide or cover up an mistake I made. Often, the addition makes the card look better too.

Really neat technique. I am not sure where I put all my stuff to use my alcohol inks but this makes me want to dig them out!!

Nicole Parmentier said...

Yes, Virginia we want more video's and Yes Virginia we want you to include the bloopers! They make us feel more confident..... ��

Loll Thompson said...

Awesome video tutorial Virgina! Love the spills that became part of the piece of art ... gorgeous cards! Loll xx

Cathy said...

Great cards Virginia, fabulous video, I loved the keep calm and carry on stamping LOL, Cathy x

Cris G said...

This birdie card is SO VERY beautiful! Love the bow too!

Mariana Grigsby said...

These cards are wonderful, Virgina! I think I will use my alcohol inks very soon! Thanks for the inspiration! I also Like the video! Hugs!

Vicki Dutcher said...

This effect is fabulous!! I love that your video was short too -- excellent job on your first video!

Libby Hickson said...

LOVE how you combined alcohol inks with stamping - VERY cool!!