Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Blog Hop for Cristina!

 Extra, extra....a special BOOK event (and a card ) today!

My friend and fellow cardmaker, Cristina Kowalczyk, has some exciting news. She’s also an author (she writes under her maiden name – Cristina Henriquez), and her novel, The Book of Unknown Americans, comes out TODAY! To celebrate, I, along with a few other crafty friends, are helping her spread the word about her book. 


Ben Fountain said it was “a triumph of storytelling,” 
Heidi Julavits called it “extraordinary,” and 
Amazon editor Chris Schluep chose it as his “must read for summer,” saying, “This novel snuck up on me. It’s moving and beautifully written, never overwrought, and I read it virtually in one sitting. It’s compelling, tragic, sometimes funny, uplifting and heart-wrenching. I can’t stop thinking about these people.”
Cristina is giving away 5 signed, first-edition copies of The Book of Unknown Americans. And because this is all about spreading the word, there are four ways to enter.

1.     Tweet about The Book of Unknown Americans (#UnknownAmericans)
2.     Write a Facebook post telling your friends about the book
3.     Pin the cover of the book on Pinterest
4.     Or simply leave a comment on Cristina’s blog

If you do all four of those, that’s four entries! (On Cristina’s blog, submit one comment per entry. For example: “I tweeted!” “I put it on FB!” “I pinned it!” etc.)

From all the comments on her blog, Cristina will choose 5 people to win a copy of the novel. Plus, one lucky person will win the grand prize, a signed book plus a giant stash of craft supplies – stamps, dies, inks, you name it! 

I am doing my bit to support this talented author and card maker.  Cristina started out as my all time favorite Gallery Idol in 2011. After I followed her blog, I then found out that she is a writer! So what do I do for this celebrated author and card maker? Make a card, of course. 

My card is inspired by the book cover.

 Missing You

I used the Map of America as the background. The sentiment cut halfway through North and South America. With this design, I am paying homage to Cristina's Panamanian heritage. I read Cristina's previous book The World in Half as my family and I transited the Panama Canal by cruise ship. It was a touching and heartfelt story that almost moved me to tears. I am so intrigued by her new book and I can't wait to get a copy myself! I am waiting for my copy ordered here .

In this collage: our visit to the Panama Canal in Dec. 2013, holding Cristina's book during the canal -crossing, Cristina autographing my copies of her books last October (in Chicago).
Here are the blogs that are helping to spread the word about the new book launch:


I am so happy and honored  to be part of this book launch blog hop.
For more info about the book and other ways that you can show your support, head on over to Cristina’s blog Be sure to comment and leave Cristina some love!

Thanks for stopping by!

16 comments:

Kristie Goulet said...

LOVE your card inspired by Cristina's book cover. Awesome! How exciting you got to meet Cristina and have your book signed.

Tracey McNeely said...

Your card inspired by Cristina's book cover is so awesome. I am sure Cristina is so touched by all this!

maria f. said...

Fabulous post for a fabulous lady from a fabulous friend.

Handmade Cards by Archana said...

Your card inspired by Cristina´s book cover is awesome. Thanks for leaving sweet comments on my blog :)

conil said...

You must be the best friend ever. I, too, have been following Author Cristina's publishing progress...my copy of the new book is on its way. Now I need to get the 1st one. Anyway, your card is perfect. That's one of my favorite backgrounds.

Anja (scrappie) said...

Beautiful card and exciting news about Cristina.

Suzanne said...

I love the photo of you holding her book! You are toooo cute, Virginia!

Barb Ghig said...

Such a gorgeous and thoughtful card, Virginia! I love how you used your sentiment to separate North and South America, and your flower is amazing!

You are such a loyal and wonderful friend to promote Cristina's book...I'm looking forward to getting a copy for myself, too! Thanks for sharing all of these photos with us :-)

Cindy C. said...

Great card inspired by Cristina's book cover! Thanks for sharing the news, she is a multi talented woman!! Your cruise photos are wonderful, I enjoyed looking at them Virginia!

cm said...

Yet another sign of how awesome you are in spreading the word of Cristina's new book launching today! talk about support! Your card is absolutely gorgeous, and your cruise photos...wonderful! I'm looking forward to reading all of Cristina's books, thanks to your recommendation! Hugs~c

Shelly said...

Love your post, Virginia! Cristina is so amazing and inspiring! Love her work! And the card you made is GORGEOUS!!! Your photos are quite awesome, as well! ;)

Carol McCready said...

Love your card.

Annette Allen said...

wow what a gorgeous card..

Dawn Turley said...

Gorgeous card Virginia. Love seeing your travel photos. And how great to get an autograph from Cristina

sandie said...

I adore this bloom and that background and very clever placement of the sentiment. I watched the utube video of Christina on the Iron Craft and was amazed she is also an author...one talented lady x

Joni nina Andaya said...

So love this post Virginia! Your card inspired! Fabulous :)