Tuesday, June 10, 2014

What is Dr. John Doing...

 Hello and thank you for your wonderful comments from yesterday's post. I shared them with Dr. John and he was "intrigued" by the comments! Please keep them coming as he reads each one of them carefully. And speaking of comments, one of them made me smile and prompted me to do "something" about it.

A comment from Miriam Prantner : You have SKILLS!!!! You will have to start rolling your eyes when you walk past Dr. John working on ANOTHER Lego creation. ha! These are gorgeous. Love how different they are. That second one is so striking, gorgeous!!!

I am being a good reporter (my childhood dream was to become a reporter..) and took some photos of what Dr. John has been doing with his latest Lego obsession....

Dr. John's is working on building the Panama Canal--brick by brick!
(a corner of our study room)
This just proves that I am not the only one with an obsession :)

On to the saga of the Botanical Notes...
I took a more classier/old style approach for this one. 
rejoice 
I masked and dry-embossed the border and used one of the flowers from Botanical Notes as the starting point. The sentiment is from SRM sticker. I chose the sentiment as the shape and design fit perfectly. I also applied a piece of Washi tape to ground the butterfly and make the colors pop more.




I hope that you will come back to check out my guest design with Altenew stamps tomorrow.
I have LOTS planned! Here is week 1 (in case you missed seeing it).
Thanks for stopping by!

19 comments:

Barb said...

Wow! A Lego creation of the Panama Canal?! That's amazing! Hope you share his progress, V!

Love your newest card using the Botanical Notes - looks really pretty with the image stamped inside the embossed area! Such a fun idea - you are so clever! ♥

Dawn Turley said...

Love today's card Virginia. And what an ambitious creation from Dr John.

Sheila H said...

You and Dr. John are each amazingly creative. You are a real power couple :) Please continue to keep us uodated on his latest project. This last card if yours is particularly lovely. The flowers appear to swirl around inside the embossed area. The Washi adds a bold pop and nicely grounds the gorgeous butterfly.

Shelly said...

WOW! Pretty amazing Lego building on going on over there! ;) And you have another gorgeous card! Love the colors and embossing!

Lin said...

What a fun post, Virginia! Loved seeing what Dr. John is up to, and your series of cards is wonderful....we should all do something like that!

conil said...

Well, the cards just keep getting better and better. Between them and the Lego construction (which looks amazing, by the way), it's amazing that you & Dr. John have time to read the blog.

Miriam Prantner said...

Ha! Glad I was able to make you smile! Dr. John's creation is quite impressive....it appears that his lego crafting space might rival your paper crafting space ;) I am impressed by the color coordinated organization, but I would expect no less from any Lu. I love the new card too, the dry embossed border is really cool.

joy said...

I admire Dr. John's tenacity!! What a monumental project.

The blues in today's card really appeal to me. Love the embossed frame around those pretty flowers!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

Gorgeous and my son gives two thumbs up to the Lego collection!

LauraJane:) said...

Everything is AWESOME! Is Dr. John a fan of the LEGO Movie too? A man must have his toys. Legos are less expensive than cars:) and I 'm sure you get to add a block here and there? Don't you just love that sound they make when searching for the right piece?
The washi tape Really adds to your card...another beauty! Nice embossing on the edges as well:)

Chunyuan said...

Impressive lego project by Dr. John. I am also impressed with the Lego organization.
Gorgeous card as always, Virginia.

Dotty Jo x said...

Another totally amazing card in your series! I really love this one - one of my favourites and I love them all. And Dr John says that YOU are obsessed? But how cute that he creates with lego, Jo x

Julie C. said...

Wow! Did Dr. John come up with the design himself or was it a set that he just builds it by following the instruction booklet? I will be so amazed if he designs it himself and I would say that is a great skill!! ^_^
Your card is beautiful. Just shows how many cards you can make with one stamp and that also proves it is a great stamp buy!

Robin K. said...

Please keep us posted on Dr. John's progress- what an amazing project! You are inspiring me to do a series with one stamp- love how you used the stamp as a frame in your design!

Barb Ghig said...

OMGosh, Dr. John's project is amazing! I think it's fabulous that he has a creative outlet, too...can't wait to see more of his progress!

I really love how you designed this card, Virginia! The dry embossed border is so pretty, and I love how you stamped the flower! Love the pretty color combo, too...your card is so elegant!

Cris G said...

It's really fun when adults don't loose their inner child, meaning when they leave space to be creative, think outside the box... great things may happen :). You and Dr. John are the living proof of that!
This time you have a very elegant card. I agree the washi tape helps everything else to pop.

Virginia Lu said...

Dr. John: Thanks, everyone, for the comments about my Lego project.
To answer Julie's question: the cargo ship is a set but the Panama canal is my own design. I bought specific pieces from the Lego store for this construction. It's been a lot of fun creating from scratch.

alexandra s.m. said...

Amazing work Dr. John!
Miriam's comment made me smile big time too!
Virginia, your card is delightful!
Go John! Go John!!

maria f. said...

Goodness gracious, thatsalottacardsfromonestamp! You are rocking it, Virginia! As, apparently, is Dr. John. So are Penny Black and Lego calling your house yet to discuss contracts?!