Saturday, September 13, 2014

Grand Bazzar in Istanbul

As you may know....I just got back from a big trip, namely to Venice, Istanbul and Athens. Here is my first travel post.  I have lots to catch up....I didn't think that I was going to play any challenges any time soon. BUT when I saw the pattern paper (Grand Bazaar) in my craft table, I thought the fox paper will be perfect for the latest Moxie Fab World  (see Foxy Foxes Challenge) . I just can't help myself... LOL.
just because
 In order to"calm down" the busy and colorful paper, I embossed the fox image in mint on the black card stock. I added a few small strips of paper and vellum to give the design a bit of pizzazz. Lucky that I have the mint sequins! Also, I stitched the white-embossed sentiment in gold thread. And of course, you've got to have GOLD if you are in the Grand Bazaar!  I also throw in a cork heart for good measure!

I know it is a super busy pattern paper....just like THE Grand Bazaar. Istanbul was the 4th city that we visited during the Mediterranean cruise two weeks ago. When I bought the pattern paper Grand Bazaar (Basic Grey) more than a year ago, it didn't occur to me that I would actually go to THE Grand Bazaar! Isn't that funny? 
So, you must wonder what the Grand Bazaar is like....here are a few photos to give you some ideas.
It was a hot day in Istanbul when we walked from our cruise ship to the famous Spice Market and then to the Grand Bazaar. So many displays and foreign signs. Lots and lots of shops were selling everything from T shirts, purses, handmade laces, tea sets, home decor.... In fact, after walking in the Grand Bazaar for half an hour, we decided that we needed to find our way back to the cruise ship. We don't want to miss the big boat, do we?
 David had our trusty Rick Steve's guide book in his hand.  Still, there are so many unmarked paths (from the Spice Market) leading to the Grand Bazaar, it is very easy to get totally lost! The Turkish culture is truly foreign and exotic! Surrounding ourselves in these shops and displays, we were absolutely mesmerized and overwhelmed. Thankfully, we didn't have any trouble wandering around!
 Stephanie was checking out the famous tulip-shaped tea cups...

The choices of spices, nuts, dried fruit, cheese, sweets and food that I do not recognize/know .... are astounding. I ended up buying some nuts, tea and coffee. They are SAFE!
 Alexia at the Spice Market
 And now you can see why I have to make a card with the Grand Bazaar pattern paper with the fox?
 
 See those small hanging packets? Those were tea and spices in assorted flavors. We did buy some of those and have yet to sample them.
Thanks for stopping by! 

23 comments:

Deepti said...

Wow ur card is way toooo cool!! Who wouldn't fall in love with foxes after seeing ur card :) Istanbul !!! You refreshed by memories, I went their back in 2008 in a student exchange program during my MBA :) I like the historic feel to it and Grand bazaar is indeed grand ;)

Julie C. said...

Wow! I can sense the business and noises from your pictures. That is a cool place to go and so is your card! Full of life and colour. It really resembles the Grand Bazaar. I can feel it! Love your card and thanks for sharing your holiday pics! ^_^

Dawn Turley said...

super cute card and what great pics from the Grand Bazaar

Jennifer Grace said...

Your card is fabulous, I love the mint coloured fox on black paper! Your travel photos are awesome too, I love seeing photos of exotic markets! x

Sheila H said...

The busy and vibrant background is nicely "calmed" by the fox on a black background. The velum strip with a torn edge is striking. I love embellishments - lovely details adding pizzaz. Also, I enjoy your photos very much, Virginia.

~amy~ said...

Your card is perfect, love it.
What FUN pictures!!!

Kristie Goulet said...

Great card, Virginia and even greater pictures. Thank you so much for sharing. xo

Gerry said...

I am loving the trip pictures! Keep them coming. Is it sad that I'm jealous of Alexia?

conil said...

What fun...first, your Foxy card is very sweet. Your fox looks like he's sitting on one of those slate menu boards small bistros sometimes have. Perfect over the colorful BG patterned paper (which dovetails nicely into your current challenge, Hah!) Secondly, your travelogue pictorial of the Grand Bazaar is, well, grand. Incredibly photographer that you are...I'm sure your whole family including Alexia had a marvelous time.

Barb said...

I'm so excited to see all your posts about your amazing trip, V! Love all these pics of the Grand Bazzar - what a neat place!

Your card is adorable! Love the colorful pattern! ♥

Miriam Prantner said...

I love the rich patterns/colors in the that BG collection. The fox embossed on black is a great way to focus in on the image and thanks for sharing all those great pics of Instanbul!

Melissa Bove (SCS ~ Melissa1872) said...

What a fabulous place to visit! Love seeing all of your photos! :)

hugs...

Melissa Bove (SCS ~ Melissa1872) said...

Beautiful card too! ;)

Bobby said...

Looks like a fantastic trip, Virginia, and how great that it inadvertently inspired your colorful card.

alexandra s.m. said...

Such a treat Virginia!
Thank You so much! I want to go to Istanbul so badly!
I bet the smells were almost overwhelming!
Did you try the loukoums? my fav's are the rose petal kind...

(also, bravo to Stephanie, I love her photography. If only she were closer, I would hire her for a shoot in a heart beat!)

Barb Ghig said...

Awesome card, Virginia! I love how you embossed the fox in green on black...so cool, and perfect with the papers!

Thanks for sharing more pics with us! I love seeing all the cultural hot spots :)

Tenia Nelson said...

Awesome card and awesome pics!! I am sooooooo glad that you and the fam had FUN!! :)

Kelly Griglione said...

YAY, I've been waiting for vacation pics!!! What fun would it be to browse the Grand Bazaar. The details in your photos are amazing! What a great source of inspiration for your beautiful card, Virginia : )

Shelly said...

LOOOVE your card!!! And what awesome pics!

Laura Norris said...

Great pictures! How fun to visit the ACTUAL Grand Bazaar after buying the paper!

Cris G said...

Love this card, Virginia! So happy and trendy, love the whole design and pattern papers.
I was missing seeing your cat guide Alexia, and your photos. I hope you and your family had a great holiday cruise.

Annette Allen said...

oh my now that is a market.. looks so fun just like that card full of fun patterns.. awesome Virginia..

Annette Witherspoon ♥ said...

I totally love this! My favorite part? The mint fox. Totally unexpected. Love!!