Monday, October 27, 2014

Working with Small Dies!

 Hello! Have you played with small dies before?

Around Town (Penny Black)  are likely the smallest dies that I have ever come across. The details are amazing! When I first worked on the image, I tried to use watercolor to paint in every little detail. But I realized that it is likely a good idea to keep the colors simple.

This is the result.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
I love creating my own colored paper. This card was no exception. 

I water-colored on paper and then made the die cut for each house. Can you see the trees, horse and sleigh?
I created a "hill" by using DCWV card stock. I added the houses and church with pop dots. When it was time to stamp the sentiment, I decided to emboss it in white on vellum and I then added the stitching.

Lastly, don't forget to enter your comment in this post for a chance to win a class for A Very Trend Holiday.

You can sign up the class for A Very Trendy Holiday Card class from StampNation, details here
If you are a StampNation Member, you get a $10 discount on the class (see  here)

Thanks for stopping by!

27 comments:

Nat said...

such a beautiful card, love how you have used these tiny dies!! Can't say I've ever used ones so small before. wonderful. :)

Dawn Turley said...

My goodness they are tiny! What a delightful card Virginia.

sandie said...

Adorable Virginia, love that you made your own watercolour coloured card, amazing colours x

Wiebke Kommerell said...

Virginia, that's such a beautiful card!

I have some tiny dies from Memory Box (cars, gingerbread men, space shuttles, ...).
Sometime it's hard to create a good scene for them - they go "lost" easily on a card with too much stuff or color.

joy said...

What an adorable scene you've created with these tiny pieces. I love your watercolor paper, Virginia!

Lynn said...

I love the spectrum of color and these are absolutely adorable Virginia.

Susanne Vargas said...

This is such a cute card! Love those watercolored houses!

Sue McRae said...

So many great details on this colourful and charming scene!

Shelly said...

So pretty! Love your little houses!

Alanna said...

Those houses are so darling.

Lin said...

Oh my, they are TINY! Love your wonderful scene, V!

Thordis said...

Oh this is gorgeous Virginia! How cute is this :)

Dolly Bhattacharjee said...

Uber cute <3 They are so tiny.

LauraJane:) said...

Those are really tiny! They would work in the half globe ornaments I've seen over at PTI.
I especially like how you stitched the vellum banner on:)

Miriam Prantner said...

What a cute scene! Love the papers you created for the die cuts too!

Dotty Jo x said...

Gosh, those really are teeny, tiny dies! Looks magical, great work, Virginia, Jo x

Cindy C. said...

It's so cute, this colourful miniature village!!

conil said...

Small or not, that is one sweet village you've created.

Melissa F said...

Beautiful card, love the design so the tiny diecuts don't get "lost"!

donna mikasa said...

Love your charming little village scene which could only have been built with those teeny dies! Love it!

Lee Ann Barrett said...

How sweet, love the rainbow of colors!

Kari V. said...

Those dies ARE little! I love how you colored them!

Cris G said...

What a darling card, Virginia. Everything seems to have come from Lilliput... and no sight of Gulliver :). Love the sentiment and little bit of stitching.

Barb Ghig said...

Love these teenie-tiny die cuts! Your scene is so sweet, and I love how you stamped your sentiment! Vellum and stitching is perfect with white embossing...love it!

Becca Cruger said...

Really cool! I never can figure out how to use smaller scale images to a good effect. Thanks for the inspiration!

SUSIE Peterson-LaLonde said...

Beautiful!

Laura B. said...

Cutest little village ever, ever, ever!