Saturday, December 27, 2014

Chinese Onion Pancake/葱油饼

 Hello! Hope you have a super fabulous Christmas! I took few days off from blogging and card-making. I thought it might be a good idea to share some cooking instead.

Today's post is about a simple snack in Chinese cuisine. Scallion Pancake/葱油饼 are available in mainland China, Taiwan and other areas of the world with ethnic Chinese populations. You can find them in restaurants and as a street food item, You can buy them frozen in Asian grocery store.
I often make my own dumpling dough, so it is not a huge stretch to make the Scallion Pancake dough. My daughter Stephanie helped me with the photo-taking, so it is easier to see how they were made.
Ingredients: 
2 cups all-purpose flour 
1 tablespoon salt, divided
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water, or as needed
vegetable oil, or as needed, divided
2 bunches of green onions (scallions), minced

1. after kneading the dough, let it rest for 20 minutes.
2. flatten the dough and start rolling
3. roll it into a thin dough
4. add few drops of vegetable oil
5. add minced onions and season with salt
6. spread out the onions
7. start rolling (with the onion filling)
8. you will get a roll-up dough at this point
9. flatten and start rolling again
10. roll the onion dough till flat

11. roll the dough up again
12. the dough become like thick disc/ball
13. flatten the dough gently
14. roll and flatten the dough for the last time
15. once it is flat, you can fry them in a pan with 1-2 tab. oil
 Some people like to add eggs to the pancakes. So I did just that. Don't they look delicious? 
How is that for a snack? 

Hope you have an idea what Scallion Pancakes are like. Perhaps you want to give this a try?
 Yup, this is how I roll.
Thanks for stopping by!

17 comments:

Rahmat said...

That looks yummy! Process is like Indian stuffed flat breads...thanks for sharing, will definitely try once I get home from my holiday....have a great holiday season Virginia!

Kath said...

they look absolutely yummy Virginia...sending belated Christmas wishes to you and your family and all good wishes for a happy 2015 xxx

Hussena said...

Oh, wow! This looks so delicious. Thank you so much for the recipe. I'm so gonna try it. :)

Gerry said...

I love scallion pancakes! I buy them at the Korean supermarket nearby. They are good, but yours look way better and I know they taste so much better. Thank you for sharing your recipe. You know me, I love following anything ... Cards, food, vacations, family...that you share.

Happy Dance said...

This looks delicious! Might just have to try this for New Years Day! I'll bet my little grandkids would love to help make them too. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Virginia. And have a great 2015! Bev

Julie C. said...

Mm..Mm..Mm...They just look so yummy!! I miss them!!
Wish you and your family had a great Christmas and a great 2015!!

Shelly said...

YUM!!!...

Cindy C. said...

Oh yum!! I've made some yesterday while my sister is visiting too! But yours look much more sophisticated!! Thanks for sharing Virginia!

Sheila H said...

They look wonderful :)

Neha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Neha said...

Awesome...and vegetarian too...it is kind of Indian Paratha. I am gonna try this.

Cecilia Hsieh said...

Awesome!! This spring onion cake takes me back to my childhood when my Father (from Northern China) used to make it. He made it exactly the same way as your photos. The ones in the restaurants are not so nice and not like what I remembered. Thank you!!

~amy~ said...

YUM!
Thanks for sharing!

SmilynStef said...

Those looks so yummy ... it would be so fun to come cook with you.

Miriam Prantner said...

One of my very favorite treats! I always get it at dim sum. My mom didn't make the full up version, but she had a 'cheaters' version that I used to love involving those refrigerated biscuits. Yum!!!

Barb Ghig said...

Your pancakes look AMAZING, Virginia! I'll bet your family really enjoyed them!
Stephanie did a great job photographing everything, too...it made me hungry! Thanks so much for the recipe :)

LauraJane:) said...

Thanks for the step-by-step photos...they just make it YUMMIER!!