Sunday, December 7, 2014

Playing with Gelatos and Dies!

Hello! How is your December going so far?
 This just came straight out of my oven, so I am posting it while it's still "fresh"!

I like to make my own pie crusts.
Filling: 3 eggs, 1 cup corn syrup, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp. salt, 2 cups Pecan (toasted for 6 min at 375 F), 5 tab. unsalted butter (oops, I forgot to add butter). 
Source : The Joy of Cooking
Bake in oven at 350F for 35-45 min. Enjoy!

Now onto the card....the other day I decided to play with some Gelatos as they were being somewhat neglected.
Around Town
I have played with this Penny Black die in the past and here are some different versions of them.  

Card #1 
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Card #2 
be jolly  
This is the Gelato version.
Happy Holiday
I blended the Gelatos (Blueberry, Margarita, Metallic Melon, Metallic Mint, Butterscotch,
Silver Ice, Guava, Raspberry)  with my wet fingers. At the end, I dabbed on a thin layer of Gesso.  In order to give some interest to the design, I did some stitching with sequins. This card truly is one of a kind as there will never be another one with exactly the same colors...

I have been neglecting the Christmas decorations a bit in the last few years. I finally did some minor updating on the wreath for the front door. I re-did the ribbons ( I have a huge roll from Costco from years ago) and bought some bright poinsettia flowers....all this cost me $8! Not bad, huh?
Thanks for stopping by!

22 comments:

conil said...

A homemade pie and a glitzed up (gorgeous) wreath. And then, on top of it, a Christmas card. You have NOT been idle, girl. The card is, as always sweet and colorful. Everything else looks delicious and festive, respectively.

Rahmat said...

You have been a busy bee Virginia, I will start from the last, the wreath on your door looks fab!, the gelatos card is beautiful with its soft colors, and I like the touch of the sequins at the top!..I like the colors on the other two cards...and finally the pie looks delicious, with pecans more tempting :D

Sheila H said...

Your card and your wreath are spectacular, Virginia. Those gelatos really pop. And your pie looks yummy :)

Jasleen said...

Your card is so beautiful, Virginia. I loved the use of gelatoes. That reminds me of a set of gelatoes I have been neglecting since long. Thanks for the inspiration. And your pie looks delicious. You have decorated your wreath so beautifully. Seems the festivities have been keeping you busy :)

Miriam Prantner said...

Loving all these sweet home scenes! Great colors and I love your bright wreath!

Tenia Nelson said...

AWESOME!!!

Sarah Gray said...

Are we all coming over to yours for Christmas, Virginia?! I hope so :) Fab wreath and pie and your gelato card looks super yummy too!

Dawn Turley said...

Yummy looking pie Virginia. And great set of cards. I really love the bright houses on the cards. Your wreath is fabulous.

Cindy C. said...

That pie looks super yummy! And beautiful cards!! You did a great job updating the wreath, the blue poinsettia looks stunning!!! TFS.

Barb Ghig said...

Thanks so much for sharing the photo and recipe for your Pecan pie...yummy!
I love your 'Gelatos' version for this die! Such an artistic feel to this card and the colors are so striking!

Your wreath looks amazing with your new/old ribbon update and I love the blue poinsettia's...wow!

jamie vanskiver said...

I'll take 1 of each:) lol Love your wreath! So festive. I'm from the South and we loove our Pecan Pie!!! Love the house Die, I've got to get one now that I've got a Big Shot- yay me!! Those Gelatos are amazing on your beautiful cards!

Susanne Vargas said...

Your pecan pie looks delicious! That's my DH favorite pie and he gets it every year for his birthday (he doesn't want it more often...)!
Your cards are so wonderful and happy!
Gorgeous wreath!

Becca Cruger said...

I'm going to have to try that gesso overlay technique because it's pretty nifty! Also - your wreath turned out lovely. Awesome job on the thrifty design work!

Deepti said...

These are awesome :) love those sweet little houses

joy said...

You have been a busy gal, Virginia! I love the redo on your wreath and your card is very artsy! I am not a lover of pecan pie, but it looks like a winner for those who do love it!

alexandra s.m. said...

Thank You for this beautiful post Virginia!
Now, I want to eat that pie, make more cards and shamefully admit I'm neglecting my Christmas decorations this year!
xx

Nora N. said...

Wowza!! Love the fun cards with the gelato. I want to come over your house for some pie!! That wreath is just beautiful. I have a TON of Costco ribbon (I kind of am addicted to it-still buy rolls and have a HUGE box full for wrapping my presents with a little glitz!) but I LOVE the blue flowers. Stunning!!

My Paper Epiphany said...

I love your card! It looks so happy! The sequins and sewing a such a great touch! Btw, the theme at the Mixed Media Card Challenge is Home. Your wreath is beautiful - I adore the colours - next year I think I will have to makea wreath - we're heading off on a 51/2 weeks holiday to USA, Scotland, Switzerland.

LauraJane:) said...

You got me with that pecan pie!..drooling now:)
Love the AROUND TOWN die cards you are showcasing today...my fave? the last one with the bit of sewn sequins in the corner!
It reminds me the kiddos have been asking to play with the gelatos.
GREAT wreath up-do!!

Bobby said...

I could hardly get past the pie to look at your cards. All the village cards are adorable and your wreath is so striking. Good post all way round.

Ruby N said...

these are beautiful!

Helen F. said...

Sweet winter village scenes on your cards, Virgina!
PS: Love the updated wreath ~ it is beautifully decorated.