Friday, January 30, 2015

Online Card Class (Homework from Day 3)

Happy weekend!
I am popping in to share another card inspired by the Online Card Classes (CAS 4). 
This technique was taught by the funny and talented Julie Ebersole. Wouldn't it be fun to stamp with Julie? Her laughs are contagious :)

I was intrigued by the Resist technique with Gesso she shared. I recently got myself a jar of Gesso and do not play enough of it. Perfect!.....well, after 3 tries, I think I finally managed to get it right. You see, the first time, I was not patient enough to wait for the Gesso to dry ---FAIL!
 The 2nd time, I think my original stamp choice was too detailed and the Gesso doesn't project well in the background. Live and learn, right?
you are beautiful inside & out
 I couldn't help covering the entire card stock with Gesso and Distress inks. While I was making this card, I wonder why we used Gesso (perhaps you have the same thought), wouldn't it be easier just use white/clear embossing powder? I find that with Gesso, it gives a lovely white wash and the resulted background is much more artsy and subtle. I do love this look!
Supplies: Tweed Pattern (Hero Arts), Flight of Fancy (Clearly Besotted) , Gesso, Distress Inks, sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), Vivienne (Basic Grey), vellum, mint embossing powder (unknown)

Lastly, I want to give a shout out to Harriet (a faithful and kind blog follower) and Taunya Butler ( a new and sweet follower of mine). Please send me your e-mail address as I would love to send you a card!
Thanks for stopping by!

29 comments:

Hussena said...

Wow !! your card looks gorgeous ..I think this technique of using Gesso really works so well !!

Dawn Turley said...

stunning Virginia. It was well worth the effort to finally get this beauty. Love the bright colours and the soft white wash look

lostinpaper said...

Such a gorgeous colourful result Virginia!

paula laird said...

Virginia this is an amazing card. I love the colours & textures. Third time's the charm right? You have created a beautiful card.

Ryan Mangan said...

Oh wowzers! The spectrum of colors is stunning Virginia!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Love this look!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Love this look!

Susanne Vargas said...

This looks gorgeous! Love the artsy look of the gesso and the soft watercolors. They remind me of spring!

~amy~ said...

Oh my, this is gorgeous!

Kara Lynne said...

Third time's a charm! Charming card for sure; that white washed look is beautiful with your amazing array of colors!

Keren Baker said...

Totally beautiful and love the whitewashed look!

Laura Norris said...

Wow, this is amazing! Great job on Julie's technique Virginia!

richardbreaks said...

Wow, this is so different and wonderful! Lovely, Virginia!

Barb said...

Love how this turned out, V! Gorgeous mix of colors! ♥

Miriam Prantner said...

Beautiful card. The background looks amazing and yes, very artsy!

conil said...

I don't care how manny tries you had...it was worth it! Thise turned out terrifically

Shelly said...

This is gorgeous! LOVE.IT.

Bobby said...

I haven't tried this technique yet, Virginia, but your card turned out beautifully. I"m off to get out my gesso and get started.

Taunya Butler said...

I am so impressed with all the lovely backgrounds you consistently create!! This one is gorgeous in its' colors and just the soft, amazing way the colors flow!!! And that sentiment is certainly true for you - YOU are BEAUTIFUL inside and out!!! Love this - I am off to send you an email!! Have a good night!!

Darnell J Knauss said...

Oh, wow, Virginia! This is magnificent!! I would think you had been working in this medium for years, not just three tries!! Hugs, Darnell

Laura B. said...

wowzers! the color is so delicious!!! outstanding job!!! so glad you are enjoy the class and that it is inspiring you!!

Barb Ghig said...

You did an amazing job on this Gesso technique, Virginia! I love how you played with the colors on this card, too...it's so pretty, and I'm really inspired to try it!

Happy Dance said...

I'm giving you an "A+" for this card, Virginia! The technique is amazing!!! Love that white-washed look. The colors you've used are so happy - perfect to get me in the mood for Spring! Love the smattering of sequins too - they just add so much without being overwhelming. This is a lovely card!! Bev

Nora N. said...

What a lovely card!! You did a great job with this technique. I so want to try it but am afraid to use Gesso on my stamps. I really like the look of the distress colors that you used on this too. I think the original use of gesso was a way to get a canvas ready to paint with acrylic paint. It is so the paint does not soak into the canvas as much.

Tracey McNeely said...

This is so gorgeous--would love to play with you and gesso!

donna mikasa said...

Beautiful results, Virginia! I love how the white butterfly just pops on all that color!

Sheila H said...

Your Gesso work is quite beautiful. It has a soft and lovely look to it.

GeeCee said...

Hi Virginia - I loved this card sooo much that I registered myself for the Clean and Simple 4 class...LOL!
Thank you for being such an inspiration.

Carol McCready said...

Those colors are gorgeous. Your card looks so soft with lots of texture.