Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dry-Embossing with a Stencil!

Hi there!
Am I the only one who has not yet tried dry-embossing with a stencil?
I have seen it done before. This video might help you to get the visual if this is unfamiliar to you. I finally made my first attempt to try it!
You might wonder what the benefits are in using a stencil to dry-emboss?

1. it's a great way to stretch your stencil supplies. Honestly, stencils are generally cheaper than the embossing folders (say, from Sizzix, Cuttlebug). They come in small sizes, too.
2. the background is subtle. It's clear that using stencils to dry-emboss the background creates a subtle imprint. I personally find that the dry-embossed background with the conventional folders can DISTRACT the overall design.
3. need I say more?

So, this is how I did it--sandwich the paper between the shim/embossing pad and stencil. Arrange the plates like you normally do with your die cut machine. I ran this 2-3 times just to make sure since my old Cuttlebug plates are being replaced soon. 
You do need a soft foam/embossing pad to add that pressure to the stencil and plates. 
I got some new Spectrum Aqua (Primary and Essential ) recently. Those markers are remarkable!!
I actually stamped the sentiment AFTER the dry-embossing--NO problem!


I used Swirls and Dots stencil and Penny Black's new stamp Divine.
thank you for your kindness
 The texture from the dry embossing is so subtle yet it still adds a little something something to the overall design. Less is more....right?
 I hope this gives you some inspiration if you have not used stencil to dry emboss. 
Thanks for stopping by! 

37 comments:

Tenia Nelson said...

LOVE this technique and I love what you did with the Spectrum Aqua markers!!! These markers are sooooooooo AWESOME.......right??!!!??!!

Cindy C. said...

Yes I've tried embossing with a stencil and I love the subtle impression it yields. Virginia your card is really beautiful!!

Lin said...

Swoooooon, Virginia! What a gorgeous card! You just sold me that stencil.......off to put it on my wishlist!

Barb Ghig said...

I love how subtle your background looks with the stenciled pattern and your flowers are gorgeous, Virginia!

Barb said...

Wowsers! This is such a gorgeous card, Virgina! Just LOVE IT!! ♥

Carol McCready said...

The dry embossing looks great. Your card is beautiful.

Petti said...

Totally fabulous!

Harriet said...

Oh, Virginia, your card is so lovely.....you keep getting more and more creative.

conil said...

You're right, the stencil does provide just enought relief to bring one's eye into the focal point. Makes the image really POP.

Jacqueline said...

What a gorgeous card! Had to pin this one!!

LauraJane:) said...

The results seem to be a pleasing soft embossing!

Betty Keefe said...

Good minds must run on the same track -did a post on my first try with this technique for my post tomorrow on a2z scrapbooking's blog with a hero arts stencil - your card is lovely

Lisa said...

An absolutely stunning card Virginia, beautifully done!!

Susanne Vargas said...

Haven't tried this technique yet but you motivated me! Love how subtle it looks! The way you colored the flowers is so stunning! Are the Spectrum Aqua like Distress Markers? How about a tutorial or something? (If you are ever bored...)

Miriam Prantner said...

Beautiful! The embossing is so pretty and the coloring on the flower is fantastic!

Nicole Parmentier said...

Very cool! I love the dry-embossing with the stencil!

Sue McRae said...

Wow, I love the colouring on the flowers! Will have to go check out these markers!

Sarah Gray said...

Love the subtle embossed background and the colouring on the flowers is awesome! I really like the look of these markers :)

Kara Lynne said...

This is one gorgeous card, Virginia! I love the softer look from embossing with the stencil. Your coloring is wonderful on those flowers!

Taunya Butler said...

What a beautiful and extremely swoon worthy card this is!! You have impressed me with this technique and no, I have not tried it yet!!! Love the way you colored and how gorgeous and vibrant those blooms are!! Thanks for teaching me something new and sharing your goodness with others!!! Love to you!!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Beautiful. need to try it

pcm said...

gorgeous! gorgeous! gorgeous!

Mandy LaCroix said...

I love this! Great card and great idea! Haven't thought about this -- def need to try it out! Hugs!!!

Alanna said...

Wow. What an amazing card. Love it!

KayM said...

Oooooh this is just beautiful Virginia!! I have never tried this with a stencil, but will be trying it soon! And those markers look very intriguing too! Really lovely coloring!

Tracey McNeely said...

Subtle but gorgeous Virginia! Love the markers, but do I need more? LOL

alexandra s.m. said...

Gorgeous cards indeed Virginia!
You are absolutely right about this technique and your post is once again, totally inspiring!
Thanks ;)

Tami said...

Wow! Love this technique! Thank you so much! Your card is so beautiful, I LOVE the sequins, can you tell me what sequins brand you used here?

Virginia Lu said...

Thank YOU all, for you kind comments.
Tami: I used Simon Says Stamp's Moonshine (they are so awesome and come with three sizes). I think I used all the smallest one here in this card. Hope this helped!

Dawn Turley said...

fabulous. What a great idea and it's really a great way to get more out of the stencils.

Shelly said...

Absolutely, GORGEOUS!

Keren Baker said...

I love this technique- Id forgotten about until recently and its such a great technique! Gorgeous card- beautifully stamped and the background really sets it off well x

Kristie Goulet said...

Gorgeous, Virginia!!!

Laura B. said...

wow! Those spectrum markers look amazing!!! gorgeous embossing!!

Bobby said...

This is gorgeous, Virginia, and no you're not the only one not using a stencil for embossing. I have yet to try it but you have inspired me.

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous subtle dry embossed background Virginia. I have not tried that technique. Congratulations on your one year anniversary too:-) Love your Challenges!

Bonnie said...

This is breathtaking, Virginia! Love that flower and the subtle embossing!