Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Playing with Mixed Media

Hi friends!
Have you tried something different lately?
I bought a jar of Gesso a while ago and I hardly used it. Since I have been taking the Craftsy Class (click my side banners for more info) for Mixed Media, I thought I should try to incorporate it into my card-making.

What is Mixed Media?
Here is the definition from Wikiepedia
Mixed media tends to refer to a work of visual art that combines various traditionally distinct visual art media. For example, a work on canvas that combines paint, ink, and collage could properly be called a "mixed media" work...When creating a painted or photographed work using mixed media it is important to choose the layers carefully and allow enough drying time between the layers to ensure the final work will have structural integrity. If many different media are used it is equally important to choose a sturdy foundation upon which the different layers are imposed.
A phrase sometimes used in relationship to mixed media is, "Fat over lean." In other words: "don't start with oil paints. Plan to make them the final layer."

I find the above definition helpful. Sorry about the copy and paste....
I do that often when I need an answer in a jiffy and I usually resort to Wikipedia or simply just....Google it! Remember the good old days of checking those books in the library? ...Yeah.
Here is my Mixed Media card
discover
 My creative process:
1. apply Gesso over a gold chevron paper, let dry
2. stamp the bird multiple times with multiple inks, with the help of MISTI
3. add stenciled leaves at the bottom
4. apply Distress Inks to all edges
5. add Rub-ons for the sentiment and stamp subtle sentiment around the edges
6. adhere strips of Washi tape and pattern paper (see left)
7. add Perfect Pearl droplets for the final touch
8. add small droplets of ink splatter (mixture of water and Distress Inks)

What I love about this is that you can have layers and layers of images and textures, yet the surface stays flat! I will definitely use more Mixed Media for my card-making. The end result is almost always rewarding. Even better, the creative process is liberating and therapeutic.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

16 comments:

experimentswithcardmakingetc said...

You nailed it, Virginia! Its fantastic!!
xx Ashwini

Dawn Turley said...

fabulous Virginia. Stunning Mixed Media art work

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Wow! Awesome mixed media card!

Four11Lady said...

Your card is fantastic! I, too have just gotten into mixed media and it is a lot of fun with great results. You did a great job of it.......

Tess Hackett said...

I really like your card, it is great to learn something new and then try it on your cards. Maybe one of these days you should give art journaling a try. After seeing the card you made today I think that you would really like it. My favorite elements on your card were the washi tape and the multicolored ink, but then I like how it all came together for a beautiful card.

Annette Allen said...

wow totally gorgeous..

GeeCee said...

i like it...it's a beauty!

Charlene said...

Beautiful!! I love the different colors on the bird!

conil said...

Good grief...don't know where to look first but the overall impression is beautiful. The element you've chose blend together so well. What a happy card.

Lisa said...

Beautifully done Virginia, this is just fabulous!!

Tracey McNeely said...

Virginia awesome mixed media card--the gesso is amazing!

Miriam Prantner said...

Gorgeous! Love the gesso base and the multi colored stamping!

Shelly said...

This is gorgeous! I LOVE it!

alexandra s.m. said...

You have absolutely NAILED it my Friend!
Love it!!

Taunya Butler said...

AWESOME - SAUCE!!! Totally and completely!! Thanks for the Mixed Media info and that helps me to understand it better!! There you go again, always adding goodness to others' life!! Thank you and I think your card is super lovely!!!

Barb Ghig said...

So, so pretty! I love all the dimension you achieved with your colors and Gesso...Love this card!