Sunday, May 3, 2015

Using Recycled Materials

Hi friends!
It has been a while since I used a recycled item for my card-making. I have been spoiled with new products and rarely use supplies like I used to. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE new craft supplies; but it is always fun to stretch your supplies and use what you already have.

When I saw the free digital stamp that Danielle over Neat and Tangled offered, I jumped right to it. I love that saying: "you got this!". It looks to me we all need someone to tell us: "you got this!" once in a while, especially when we are stressed or are faced with challenges. I wanted to print this stamp out on a piece of scrap paper first, so I looked through my recycle pile and found this brown wrapping paper...
And before you know it, a light bulb lit up in my head!
you got this!
I used the brown textured wrapping paper as my card base. As you can see, there is a bit of wrinkle in it....but I think it's got "character"! It tells you what it was for and it reminds you what gift was wrapped with this paper...

I stamped the borders with the Neat and Tangled stamp "on the Edge"with the help of MISTI. Because my laser printer is super cheap, I had to apply Glossy Accent over the sentiment, so the black ink won't smear.

In case you have never printed out a digital stamp, here's how I did it:
1. right click on the image and click save 
2. you can save it in your picture file
3. click on the file (that you just saved) and copy and paste it into your Word Document (I use "Microsoft Word")
4. you can resize it however large or small (mine is the actual size) by moving the cursor
5. Print onto your card stock (it depends on your printer as some will not take heavy card stock)

If you are having a tough time or face challenges, do remember this saying: "you got this!" 

Also, I am hosting the Stamp Clinic  over at Stamp Nation and the focus is all about "Word Dies".
You can sign up here
Here is a sneak peek of my work
Currently I am taking this class over Craftsy: Fresh Techniques for Artful Layouts 
(by Wilna Furstenburg). Oh, it's been awesome. 
Thanks so much for stopping by!

11 comments:

Lynn said...

Love this...you definitely got it Virginia!

Nora N. said...

This is amazing Virginia!!! I love that you used the brown paper. The colored ink looks fabulous with it. Really thinking out of the box. I so hear you with new supplies. I am only trying to buy "tools" right now-ink and such-rather then new stamps because I don't get to use what I have!!

Tenia Nelson said...

So so AWESOME!!

Nichola said...

I'm totally the same way! I get loads of supplies and my grungy pile of old stuff often gets ignored... but it's so fun to use! Love your card :)

Shelly said...

Awesome card! Love the wrapping paper base!

Cindy C. said...

Very fun way to recycle!! Your card look awesome Virginia!!

conil said...

Clever. eco-friendly girl. I love that shiny sentiment on the wrapping paper. That stmped border is awesome, too.Boy, didi you ever get this!

Charlene said...

Wonderful card Virginia.....they all are :-)

Danielle said...

I love this so much! :)

Miriam Prantner said...

So cool! I love this and love the glossy accents you added!

donna mikasa said...

You are the QUEEN of recycling, and you do it so well! Such a great idea to add some shine to the sentiment!