Saturday, June 6, 2015

Virginia's Monthly Stamp Study #9

Hello friends! 
It's time for my Monthly Stamp Study! This series takes place the first Saturday of every month. I am pleased that I have been keeping up with this series so far (yay, go me!).
My choice was to showcase this stamp "Bird and Branch" from Hero Arts. Color-Layering stamps is all the rage these days. It is fun for stampers to create layers of color without adding bulk. Plus, the extra layers of etched details from the stamps really makes the design shine. What's not to love?

I love birds and when I saw this new set from Hero Arts, I knew I would have to get it. Sure enough, after a few sessions of stamping with this set, I. am. in. love!

About the stamp: this bird set has 5 components in it--3 stamps for the body, one for the eye and beak, and one for the feet.  It's easy to line them up once you practice a few times with them. I usually watch out for the eyes and tails before I stamp. This set also comes with a few flowers, a branch and some leaves. I must say this set is perfect if you have not tried this type of multi-step stamp set before.

Card #1
chirp up soon
 This was my attempt at making a masculine card. It was mailed to a blog friend's father who is recovering from heart surgery. I think it's a perfect card for that.

Card #2
hello friend
I love the red in this.  It really makes every color pop more. I also rounded all the corners just to give this card a more refined and polished look.
 
Card #3
Happy Day
I decided to stamp a "bird couple" and ended up making it more shabby chic/vintage. The fun thing about this type of design is that there is no right or wrong. You can layer any colors, shades and elements to your heart's content. I also brushed a touch of Wink of Stella to the pink/coral bird. See the shine? I also dabbed some Gold Gelato  with a tiny bit of water for the edges (see top left and bottom right corner). I think this give the design a more earthy and shabby chic look.

Card #4
thanks!
After making card #3, I thought I needed to go for a more modern approach. This time I used Hero Arts Paint Dauber. For the bird, it was still stamped in dye inks. The sentiment is one of the circles in the background.

I took a group photo of the 4 cards...

After that, I came up with Card #5!! 
happy bird -day!
 I decided to do some easy masking and created a pun-intended card. I stamped the yellow/orange bird first, then I used a mask to stamp the bird behind it. Now do you see the possibilities of this set? I know I can go on and on if I keep playing with it....
I hope that you like this ongoing series. As you can tell, I had a ton of inking fun :)

Lastly, I want to point out that Craftsy is having "Create the Unexpected" event (sales for all classes this weekend). Check them out as you will have lifetime access to classes that you sign up for.


Thanks for stopping by!

24 comments:

Hussena said...

OMG !! All your cards are just stunning ..Love the layered bird stamp and the beautiful way you have showcased it ..Another stamp added to my wish list now :)

Jacqueline said...

Such a beautiful way to craft!! Love them all! Just delightful. Have a lovely weekend, Virginia.

Dawn Turley said...

gorgeous Virginia. I had fun last weekend trying out all sorts of different colour combos. Still struggling a bit lining up the beak and eye. Just love all your cards.

Karyn Penno said...

I probably would have gone right past that stamp, because I would have thought it wasn't versatile enough - just goes to show, huh! Gorgeous stamping as always Virginia :)

Lynn said...

Your cards are amazing works of art Virginia. So stunning!

Tracie Pond said...

Oh my, these are beautiful, Virginia! Thanks so much for sharing with us.

CONNIE BROOKS said...

They are beautiful. I too, LOVE anything that has to do with birds. I decorate my home with them, I feed them outdoors. I love to watch their antics at the feeder and etc. I must get this stamp set. May I ask what stamp set was the sentiment "happy bird-day" from?

Harriet said...

Love the cards, love the birds, the colors are excellent.

Kristie Goulet said...

WOW! Great cards, Virginia! Love the colors!

Nicole Parmentier said...

I commented on flickr already but I have to say it again... WOW!!!!

Vikki Hein, southern Oregon said...

as a bird watching widow (my husband travels 8-10 wks a yr looking at birds around the world) I think this is just the set for me! what fun to see all your variety. the Hello Friend is my favorite but just by a slim margin!!

Michelle said...

Beautiful cards, Virginia. I've had my eye on that stamp set. You've done a wonderful job bringing it to life.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous bird cards, Virginia - just love what you did with this set. I made a bird card this week too - funny, I didn't notice the beak and eye stamps - I just enhanced theme with other products - LOL. Glad to learn from your post!!

Lisa said...

These are ALL so pretty! But I think I like the second one best!!

Christine Kosmak said...

I love your cards and this stamp set has now unfortunately been added to my "never ever gonna end" wish list!

Barb Ghig said...

You have really done an amazing job with this stamp set, Virginia! I'm so impressed with all the different color combos you used and various flowers and sentiments! Really stunning cards...every one of them :)

Carol McCready said...

Fabulous cards. Love all those
luscious colors.

alexandra s.m. said...

You're amazing you know that?

conil said...

Crazy about this bird, as well. Though, I must say you're having soooo much more success with it than I.

Tiffany Ervin said...

Wow!!!! Absolutely amazing!!! I'll have to check out these stamps!!! You definitely rocked this!

snazzyoriginal said...

Beautiful cards, wonderful colour combos. Love these stamps too but can see I need to add some richer colours x

jintyoo7 said...

Beautiful work Virginia - amazing colour ways!!

Miriam Prantner said...

These are wonderful, I really like the color combos, especially where you included gray, really makes the other colors pop.

Taunya Butler said...

Umm, Yes please, this stamp set is awesome and the birds that result are just so lovely and realistic looking!! Love all your cards - such great color combs and you just can make anything - that is what I think!!!