Sunday, August 23, 2015

Working with A Butterfly Die

Hello friends!
Have you ever had this beautiful stamp/die ...
and it's so intricate, delicate....
that you simply don't know what to do with it?
This Penny Black Butterfly dies proves to be quite the challenge for me. It really is not large enough to cover the entire front and it's not that small, either. 
you mean the world to me

I had struggled with this intricate die and decided to use watercolor paper that I previously made and made the die cut with it. For the rest of the elements (ribbons and silver-embossed sentiment)? Again, they were in my craft pile! Yeah, as you know, I have a stash in front of me--always. It seems sloppy not to put all the stuff away or thrown them in the junk pile, but you never know, right? At least, this card is truly original and one of a kind :)
Thanks for indulging me with another "Pot Luck" sort of cards. These days, I guess I am feeling the need to use up my junk pile. So bear with me!

Have you tried Craftsy classes? Here are some free classes try out.
 If you love the format and structures of the classes, here are are few that are on sale right now.

Thanks so much for stopping by!


20 comments:

Piali Biswas said...

Beautiful card!!!

lostinpaper said...

I was so interested to see how this die would look on a card and you have totally made it shine Virginia!

Bellule said...

Delicate beautiful card !

Dawn Turley said...

A very pretty card Virginia. Love the die cut

Teresa Doyle said...

That is beautiful Virginia. Sometimes I like the challenge of making something pretty from parts of previously prepped bits & pieces that lay on my desk! You really CAN make some of your best cards.

"glow" said...

hey there.. i love the way you used that die... and the colors you have going are totally awesome:) way to go....

Bonnie said...

I've been trying to refrain from buying this die. I think you've put it over the top here and I really need it! Thanks for the inspiration!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Just love how you used the die, Virginia! The watercoloring looks amazing on it!!

conil said...

You certainly figured out how to use this die. The outcome...bold color, black and white, who couldn't love it. I'm liking these "Pot Luck" creations.

nlwilson46 said...

I love when you can use watercolor practice pieces to make something gorgeous!

Harriet said...

I think we all struggle to use up our "junk piles" .... your card is an excellent example of using what is handy. The die in very intricate and you used it well.

Melissa Friedrich said...

Oh so pretty, love your card with this gorgeous, intricate die!

Parker said...

I had a similar situation and came up with this: The layering page which is slightly smaller than base is stamped with greenery (and flowers) lighter, double-stamped, over entire layer. Then apply the beautiful butterflies. Your card turned out great... wish I had thought of it. Great job.

Nora N. said...

WOW!! This does not look like you had trouble using this die!! I LOVE the combination of things you used on this. The layering of the different elements is beautiful. You ROCK with the design Virginia!!

vinita jain said...

Wow! Its so beautiful and combination of colors is so striking, lovely layering and designing Virginia! Love it!

Barb Ghig said...

I think you did an amazing job with this intricate die, Virginia! Beautiful water coloring I love how you pared down the butterflies to create your panel! Stunning card!

alexandra s.m. said...

Gorgeous card my Friend!
I particularly love your choice of colors here!!
Thank You~

Taunya Butler said...

What a feast for my eyes - gorgeous colors, beautiful, intricate dies used in an amazing way and great papers and details that are so extraordinary to go with them!! ALL in all, what that fancy sentence means is that I LOVE THIS - what a great idea and just a beautiful piece of card-work (like art on a card) =] Have an amazing week and keep happy!!

Dotty Jo x said...

Beautiful, Jo x

Miriam Prantner said...

Love the delicacy of the die and that strip of striped paper is perfect!