Saturday, September 19, 2015

London Travels by Dr. John (Part 1)...and a Card

Hello, dear Yes,Virginia blog friends/followers.
This is Dr. John. Thanks for all of your kind comments on my last post. Today I will be sharing some photos of London that I took, where we stayed for five nights prior to our cruise to Norway. After flying from Toronto to Gatwick Airport, we made our way through Passport Control where we were processed by the friendliest Border Services Agent ever! As our trip progressed, we encountered friendly taxi drivers, hotel staff, waiters etc. - making our trip very enjoyable! But I digress.
As this was our second visit to London, we focused our sightseeing on the places that we didn't have time to see the last time.
First stop: St. Paul's Cathedral, England's national church built between 1675 and 1710.



As no photography is allowed inside, I have only exterior views. Thus we decided to do the Dome climb to get unobstructed views of the city. The Dome is 365 feet tall and the climb involves 528 steps. While our kids zipped to the top easily, Virginia and I had to stop twice to catch our breath.

From the top of the dome, we had an excellent view of London's interesting skyline.
First off, the London Eye and The City (financial district).


Next is 30 St. Mary Axe, nicknamed "The Gherkin" (pickle), in the center of the photo.
Then the Leadenhall Building (a.k.a. "The Cheese-grater").
Followed by the Fenchurch Building (a.k.a. "The Walkie-Talkie") which won The Carbuncle Cup for ugliest building in the UK! Do you agree?
Finally, the best for last: The Shard, which at 1020 feet, is the tallest building in Western Europe.
It was designed by one of my favourite architects, Renzo Piano. I have visited some of his other works including: Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris, the NEMO science museum in Amsterdam, the Modern Wing of the Art Institute of Chicago, and the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco.


After leaving St. Pauls, we crossed the Millennium Bridge to reach the Tate Modern.

Although photography is allowed in the Tate Modern, I didn't take any. I guess I just don't appreciate modern art. I have no idea what most of these modern artists are trying to say!
On that note, I will stop here and say thanks for looking and stay tune for Part 2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello there, it's Virginia....are you liking Dr. John's post? Please leave him a comment if you like what you see. I know he gets a kick out of reading your positive comments.
I am leaving you with a thank-you card that I made (supplies are listed below).
thanks (2)
 The card is pretty self-explanatory. It's a stamp-layering set. All you have to do is follow the visual guide and stamp your heart out. I tried to stamp the design as if I know a thing or 2 about flower arrangement... I even added small fine sequins to mimic the tiny rocks in the vase!
2015-09-08 001
 An FYI here...
  Craftsy is offering deals on select themes of classes & supplies. Included themes are mixed media paper crafts, figure & portrait art, knitting colorwork, big quilts, sugarflowers and bag sewing.
Duration: 2 days, 9/19 - 9/20 @11:59pm MT
http://www.shareasale.com/u.cfm?d=301348&m=29190&u=1083364
 Do check out the Mixed Media Paper Crafts classes ...( the deals are AWESOME!).
I have taken 4 of the 6 classes so far. With these great deals, I just signed up Shari Carroll's class! She is amazing!
 
Lastly, the lucky winner (for this blog) from the Simon Says Stamp STAMPember blog hop 
is Cathy R! For the complete list of winners, please click here (you might be the lucky one!)
Thanks for stopping by!

29 comments:

Rosie Espinoza said...

WOW! Dr. John, that was a real eye treat! Awesome photos, really enjoy the post, can't wait for part 2...Thank you!!! & Virginia...sooooooo cute card, like the colors u used, Thank you for the inspiration u provide to us!! Blessing!

Michelle Lupton said...

Love your stamp layering creation , Virginia - so clever to have sequins at the bottom of the vase! Dr John, I have a list just like you did - things I didn't get to see on my first visit to London - looking forward to seeing more! (and I'm with you on the Tate Modern - I much preferred Tate Britain!)

Julie C. said...

Dr. John, thanks for the lovely photos and post! Although I live in Britian but I haven't got the chance to climb up the Dome yet. Those are great photos!
Virginia, live your thank you card! Bright flowers made my day! ^_^

sandie said...

Dr. John...I will never tire of seeing my City and these are fabulous photos. London never gets old and we are always finding new places as we walk around and amaze ourselves we have never seen that part of London before.
Gorgeous card Virgina, I need to catch up on your blog. Just got back from Rome, and wow did we have fun!

Jackie Parkins said...

Dr. John, thanks for the photo tour of London, I loved it. London is at the top of my bucket list. I want to spend several weeks in England and see as much as I can. Your card is beautiful, Virginia!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Great photos! Thanks for sharing!

Gilda said...

I enjoyed seeing your photos. It's hard to believe that this is modern day London! How the skyline of this wonderful city has changed.

Sue Speck said...

Thanks, Dr John! As a retired 27-year Flight Attendant, I am now a very happy armchair traveler. Thanks for making the journey so pleasant - I really enjoy your photographic art . . .

Lynn said...

Wow! The pictures of London are absolutely amazing. Love, love, love them...and can picture you on the streets of London taking it all in. Such an amazing city. And your card...gorgeous stamping as always Virginia.

Laura Norris said...

Thanks Dr. John for the great tour of London! Your pictures are always so delightful. And I love your card Virginia! Wonderful stamping and ink choices! The sequins at the bottom of the vase are the perfect touch!

Parker said...

I love the different perspectives of the photos. The composition is great. The 7th & 8th photos.............. Uhhhhh London skyline there is quite...very quite, eclectic. Never before saw a skyline like this, but because of you, now I have. Thank you.

Harriet said...

Dr. John.....excellent photos. I so enjoy the nicknames of the buildings. I, too, don't understand modern art; however, I find architecture quite interesting. The nicknames definitely were aptly stated by whoever thought them up. And you captured Stephanie's beautiful smile....what a joy to see.

Virginia, another wonderful card. Oh, I do wish I were very wealthy and could purchase stamps right and left. Oh well, since I can't do that, I more than appreciate you sharing your stamps by sharing your cards. Thank you to both of you.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Wow John - you took some amazing photos! Thanks for showing us London through your eyes! Great card, Virginia - just love the layered flowers!!

Kate said...

Fabulous photos Dr John. I live in London and have never seen it from some of the views you have.
Virginia i love your fabulous flowers, such a pretty card :)
Kate x

Shelly said...

AMAZING photos, Dr. John!!
Beautiful cards, Virginia!!

Kara Lynne said...

Thank you, Dr. John, for the wonderful architecture tour of London's skyscrapers and more! Much has changed since I visited in 1991 while studying abroad in Scotland, sigh! Beautiful stamped floral arrangement, Virginia! I love your color choices!

Susanne Vargas said...

Dear Dr. John, I really enjoyed your photos and can't wait for your next post! I was in London about 28 yrs ago and the skyline sure has changed since then! I think those skyscrapers are all very interesting and amazing. None of them strike me as downright ugly! What do you think?
Dear Virginia, your card is very lovely and strikes the right balance to the modern architecture of the photos!

Nora N. said...

Dr. John-
Your photos are spectacular!! I love your skyline photos from the top of the dome. I think we are going to have to visit there next time we come. I always find the interesting juxtaposition of the old architecture versus the modern in London. I am more of an "old" kind of person myself, though I do like that shard.

Virginia-
Your card is beautiful, as usual. The floral arrangement is wonderful, as are the colors.

conil said...

Dr. John:
Your really should be entering your photos in contests. They are truly wonderful. I wonder that you reached the top of St. Pauls dome, at all. Not sure I could, but I'd try. While not an architectural afficianado, I know what I like and I believe the "walkie-talkie" is aptly name as the ugliest building. The rest of them are interesting and have beauty. That, unfortunately, sticks out like a sore thumb. Despite it, your pictures are terrific. Can't wait for part 2.
Virginia:
Those are magnificent flowers, beautifully arranged in the container. You're so smart to emulate rocks in it's bottom with sequins. Clever girl.

thetonstampsblog said...

Beautiful photos, Virginia!! It looks like you had an amazing trip! :)

Susi Kelly said...

What an amazing collection of architectural variety - both old and new - in these wonderful photos. Thanks so much for sharing them, Dr. John. Your photographic talent is evident in all the photos shared with us on Virginia's blog.

Lisa said...

Thanks Dr. John for the marvelous trip to London through your lens! What a fabulous array of architecture! Beautiful card today Virginia, love the colors!

Renee said...

I'm sure that's probably the closest I will ever get to seeing the UK! Those pictures were fascinating Dr. John! Thank you for sharing your trip with us :) And to Virginia - GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Victoria Burgess said...

Thank you Dr John for sharing your holiday photos. I worked near St. Paul's for many years and it was great to see the contrast between old and new! Very pretty card Virginia.

cm said...

Dr. John, your photos and 'travelogue' have certainly sparked a desire to travel to London to see these 'works of art' for myself! Gorgeous photography and your descriptions are thoroughly engaging! The stairs-venture to the top of the Dome...oh my! I'm applauding your success in reaching the top; my fear of heights would certainly see me 'not' making that trek! Looking forward to Part 2 immensely. Virginia: your card is gorgeous!!

Carole C said...

Your cards are beautiful and Dr. John's photography is outstanding! I have enjoyed both. TFS

Miriam Prantner said...

Great photos! I'm very impressed that Dr. John even has a watermark! Loving that gorgeous card too!

Judy Williams said...

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your visit to my home city, and Dr John, your photos are absolutely superb! I've lived and worked in London all my life and it has been so interesting to see the changes in architecture during that time. I wonder what Christopher Wren would make of the new buildings if he was a time traveller and came to visit London in this century! You have captured your images perfectly and from angles that I have never seen before. I hope that you enjoy your cruise to Norway. My husband and I took my Mum a couple of years ago and had a most wonderful time. The views of the fjords are wonderful, you will take lots of photos I'm sure! Everywhere is so clean, the air so fresh and the Norwegians just so welcoming. Have a great time, but watch out for those mischievous trolls. Looking forward to your next volume of photographs. And Virginia, I haven't forgotten how much I like your vase of flowers. Thanks for such a clear guide of how to layer the stamps, the idea of the little sequins in the vase is truly inspired. Thanks for taking the time to share your talents.......both of you! xx

Laura Bassen said...

Wowza! Incredible photos of the amazing architecture in London!!!