Saturday, September 26, 2015

London Travels by Dr. John (Part 2)

Dear Yes,Virginia Blog friends/followers.
This is Dr. John. Thanks again for all of your kind comments on my last post.

Museums, Museums and more Museums (I hope you like museums).
Many of London' biggest and best museums are free (some request a small donation but whether you contribute or not is up to you).  They also have the most interesting gift shops and the cleanest public WC anywhere.

First stop: the Victoria and Albert Museum which grew out of the Great Exhibition of 1851. It has 150 rooms and more than 20 kilometers (12 miles) of corridors, and features the world's top collection of decorative arts encompassing 2,000 years of art and design.

Dale Chihuly Chandelier (an American glass artist trained in Venice).

The Cast Courts. These plaster-cast versions of famous Renaissance statues by Michelangelo and others allowed 19th-century art students who couldn't afford to go see the originals to study the classics. The Trajan's Column Casts originally rose 42 meters (140 feet) and were decorated with a spiral relief of 2,500 figures trumpeting the exploits of the Roman Emperor Trajan. They had to be cut in half to fit in here.

Fashion Galleries: a most comprehensive collection, dating back from 1600 to the present.

The V&A cafe, located in the Morris, Gamble, and Poynter rooms formed the world's first museum restaurant.

Second stop: the Natural History Museum which has a huge collection (50 million specimens).

Third stop: the Science Museum.
For fans of "The Imitation Game": the Enigma machine below left and Alan Turing's ACE (automatic computing engine) below right.

We also saw an exhibit about the history of timekeeping.

 There's nothing like seeing your watch in a museum to make you feel really old!

Fourth stop: the Churchill War Rooms, the underground headquarters of the British government's fight against the Nazis in the darkest days of the Battle of Britain. It has two parts: the war rooms themselves and a museum dedicated to the man who steered the war from here, Winston Churchill. Below left is Churchill's Nobel Prize for Literature and below right is the original door of #10 Downing Street when Churchill was Prime Minister.

For fans of card making:

I paraphrase Winston Churchill: "We shall stamp on the beaches...We shall stamp in the fields and in the streets...We will never surrender our High-Quality Photo-polymer...This was their inkiest hour."

Fifth stop: the National Portrait Gallery, a Who's Who of British history, featuring portraits of this nation's most important historical figures (photos are strictly prohibited).
Seeing it in person, I thought the portrait of Kate Middleton was quite good - don't know why it's so controversial.

Sixth stop: Covent Garden, a large square with shops, cafes, street musicians, and an iron-and-glass arcade that once hosted a produce market.
Virginia took this video so you can get a sense of this place... (beware of fast camera-turning!)
video

Last stop: for fans of "Mr. Selfridge".

One last shot: my son David and I (in front of the automatic computing engine).

Thanks for looking. Next stop: Norway!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reminder: Craftsy is having a Flash Sale! You can find out here)
I am also taking Lovely Layers from Top to Bottom by Shari Carroll. I love it!
http://www.shareasale.com/u.cfm?d=300420&m=29190&u=1083364

15 comments:

Julie C. said...

Love all your pictures, Dr. John. We love science museum and Covent Garden when we go to London. Thanks for sharing!

sandie said...

Fab photos...you know I love them x

Мария Доричева Maria Doricheva said...

Great report! Thank you for sharing! What a wonderful experience!

Lynn said...

I love London...you've captured it so perfectly!

Nicole Parmentier said...

Wow, that is a lot for one visit, your heads must be full! It took me two days to visit the national history museum.. but London is one hour by plane for me so I go there often. Beautiful city, lovely pictures!!!

Miriam Prantner said...

Great museums! I really love all the WWII stuff you showed and the fashions.

CONNIE BROOKS said...

Dr. John...thank you for sharing your holiday with us...I felt like I was on holiday with your family. It's always fun to see others photos and they are so interesting to view. So again, thank you and keep sharing. I love that you do so.

Jackie Parkins said...

Now I really want to go to London. The Science Museum looks fascinating, Covent Garden, and Selfridge's...wonderful! I think you may have been a wee bit off in your paraphrasing of Churchill, though ;-) I can't wait to see Norway!

ScrapaDiddle said...

Been all over Europe but never to London so I appreciate photos of the museums. Would love to go just to walk through museums for days and days! The qualoty of your photos is excellent as always! Thank you!

conil said...

Wow! That was exciting. Hit all the high points for me including the computing machines and Covent Garden, the noise must have driven you wild. Enjoyed Dr. John's paraphrasing of Mr. Churchills famous speech, immensely. The museums are truly beautiful with their incredible ceilings and wall decors. Because I'm a glitz junkie, all those chandeliers made my heart tingle. Even liked Princess Kate's portrait. I think it looks just like her, dimples and all. The architecture astounds me, knowing how long all those edifices have endured. Wow, again!

Harriet said...

Dr. John, Thank you for the tour. Lovely, lovely....museums are my very favorite place to visit.

Parker said...

Wow! Wonderful photos. The comment about the watch was funny and I chuckled out loud. I'm a Selfredge fan, and recognized the building. Didn't realize all the flags that were on top of it. There's a restaurant at DisnyWorld, Orlando named Victoria & Albert's.... wonder if there's a connection. I'll have to check. There's so much more I could bring up about the things you've taken pictures of, but my armchair travel is done for right this moment.

Susanne Vargas said...

Thank you so much for taking us on a tour of some of the Museums in London! Great pictures again! I was wondering how you stored the many pictures you are taking (external hard drive, cloud, etc.)?

Susi Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susi Kelly said...

Try this comment again - this time correctly LOL
What an amazing photo "journey" through some of London's wonderful museums - thank you! Had to laugh at your comment on your Omega watch! I bought my husband one for an Anniversary gift and it's still a stunning piece. With a watch of such high quality, there's nothing to feel "old" about.