Sunday, September 13, 2015

Virginia's Monthly Stamp Study #12

Hello friends. I am bringing the Monthly Stamp Study back again!
I was feeling so inspired by this new stamp set "Layered Lilies" from Altenew.
I decided to do my Monthly Stamp Study and share my projects TODAY!

WARNING: photo/descriptions-heavy post!

My first card is all about using good old Distress Inks.
If you don't own a few already, it's time to.
And if you are just starting to collect, I would suggest to get the mini ones.
You see, WAY back when they were new, there was just that one large size.
In this case, size does not matter. The result can speak for itself regardless of the size of your ink pads. Distress Inks are something I can't live without in my craft room.

Without my further rambling, I present you a my very 1st bright card.
Thanks for everything
I chose all the brightest inks from Distress Inks--Pickled Raspberry, Ripe Persimmon and Fossilized Amber. Each time I inked up the stamp, I would spray a few spritz of water and repeated stamping until I was happy with the result. This was done with the help of MISTI.
2015-08-11 001
As for the grey area, I used my new grey Zig marker to colored the white watercolor paper. I stamped the sentiment in Delicata gold. I didn't want to fuss about the image after all that coloring. I added a piece of pattern paper , gold strings and sequins.

 My 2nd card was a bit on the dark side....but I like it just as much.
you are awesome
This was not how I originally had in mind when I stamped the black outlines all around the edges. After stamping in the colors, I realized the print is way too bold for my liking. So I decided to cover it up with vellum and added a small butterfly.
2015-08-15 001
I actually love how this turned out. This is the beauty of a creative journey....you just never know what outcome might be until you try and play with it.

My 3rd card is a simple one. As long as you plan out the composition, it's easy to stamp since the lilies are so large and they can easily take up the entire card front.
thanks for everything

My 4th card is mimicking the floral print and so for that, I stamped the images on pattern paper (Epiphany from Prima Flower) . I took the color combo from the fashion magazine photo and incorporated them into my design. I thought Mohegony (Distress Inks) and Navy look gorgeous and sophisticated together.
thanks a bunch
The flower centers were stamped with white chalk ink. I also adhere a few tiny Martha Stewart Heart glitter in the mix. As for the sentiment, I "tied it up" with the silver strings. I have never done that before, but I think I like it!!

My 5th card (yes, 5th already)....is focusing on the white and gold.
I stamped all the colors and then stamped the details in white chalk ink and gold (Delicata).
Love U

Last but certainly not the least, my favorite is this white embossed lily with the two stamped lilies. The design is simple, but the color combo is what makes me happy.
just for you
Adding a vellum flower seems like a good idea, it keeps the design interesting with a bit of dimension, pops of colors and added textures.
2015-08-15 0011
There are so many ways to approach layered stamping. To me, there is no right or wrong however you do it. It is always a good idea to try out a few different ways to layered stamping. Perhaps you will get an unexpected beautiful result...and that, my friends, is the beauty of stamping.
I hope you enjoy this Monthly Stamp Study series.

And in case you are wondering where my ideas all came from...
Well, I can't quite pin point the exact source, but I find that taking some classes over Craftsy really broadens my horizon. I suggest you to check them out if you have not yet done so.
(to see the online classes, just click on the photo)

Thank you for stopping by!

28 comments:

Bhavana said...

Beautiful array of cards.. I loved them all :)

May Sukyong Park said...

WOW!!! All of your cards are so inspiring!!!! Love how you used the Layered Lily stamp set in many different ways. You ROCK, Virginia!

Dawn Turley said...

thank you Virginia. I got this stamp set but was a bit intimidated by it. However seeing your wonderful cards really inspires me to just go for it! LOVE each and every one of them and they are all going to be pinned to my Altenew board!

Neha said...

Awesome post Virginia. You used the stamps in every possible way. Truly brilliant. Hugs.

Ashwini Rao said...

Absolutely awesome!! Thanks for all the brilliant inspirations!!

Renee said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! On the first card, you described the repeat stamping after spraying with water - did you use the Misti for that particular card?! I finally got one and I can't put it down I love it so so sooooooooooo much! Thanks Virginia for the beautiful inspiration :)

"glow" said...

sweet:) i love all your inspiration... i dont own much of layered stamps yet.. but it does look like fun... and more mini distress inks here i come:) thanks for the lovely view:)

Michael Bakeler said...

your cards are so exquisite and so inspiring. I love them!

Nina-Marie Trapani said...

i saw your cards being shared by altenew and they looked so gorgeous... had to stop by and see them! FABULOUS creations Virginia, all of them! thanks for sharing!!

vinita jain said...

One stamp set and so many techniques! Love all the color hues with awesome array of cards, so inspiring!!!! Love them all!

Cindy C. said...

Dazzling eye candies!! So wonderful to see the various way you make use of the same stamp set!! Bravo!!

conil said...

What a spectacular array of gorgeousness. You certainly put that stamp set to excellent use. Love the variety of moods you created. The dark one is so different and exciting. Of course, I adore the vellum one but all the others are son lovely and interesting. They all draw you into their spell.

Betty Keefe said...

every one of your cards is just stunning - guess i really NEED that stamp - you've inspired me (or maybe enabled??)

Harriet said...

Wonderful, I love all your color choices. Each card is lovely, this stamp set is excellent.

Susanne Vargas said...

Love your Stamp Studies! My favorite card here is the first one! The bright colors, strip of PP and the gold accents look fabulous together!

Melissa Friedrich said...

Yay, stamp studies are back! Love this one, great ideas and inspiration.

LauraJane:) said...

Your stamp studies are always amazingly varied!! from full color to black and back again:) LOVE them all!

Shelly said...

My, oh my! These are all STUNNING!! Simply gorgeous cards, Virginia! Love, love, love!

Ruby N said...

Oh these are so beautiful!!!

Nora N. said...

Oh Virginia!! These rock!! I LOVE that each one is so unique. I have this stamp, yet to be inked. Now I want to get it out and PLAY!!! Stunning design!

Taunya Butler said...

Gorgeous, truly breath-taking cards!! Thank you for all the insights and tips and tricks you put into this post!!I think after seeing all your success that I might be brave enough to try the whole layered stamping trick!! You are delightful and I sure enjoyed being here with you while you showed me new things and taught me so much!!! So great!! Hope you have a super fabulous week!!

alexandra s.m. said...

Oh my! So many beautiful cards and great inspiration to be had!
Thank you Virginia, you have outdone yourself once again!

Suchi said...

Sooo beautiful cards Virginia!! :)
Suchi xx

Karen D. said...

such gorgeous cards mf...love them and I'm with you, can't live without my Distress inks!

Tess Hackett said...

I love seeing how to use one stamp in so many ways. If I had to pick a favorite it would be the very first one. They are all amazing though.

Happy Dance said...

A stunning array of cards, Virginia. They are all pretty darn gorgeous. At first, I wasn't sure I liked the dark card at all, but the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. The white center and vellum really soften the look and I do really like it. They are all fantastic, and thanks so much for sharing! Bev

Miriam Prantner said...

Love these study posts, the cards are just gorgeous, you have really shown off those flowers!

Mandy LaCroix said...

Love, love, love these cards! And I am a fan of your stamp study posts! Keep them coming! :-)