Monday, September 21, 2015

Working with Word Dies (and a VIDEO!)

Hello!

  Did you find it a bit more challenging as to how to use a large word die?
I am no expert, but I do find that it is harder to use it in a creative way.
This new Circle Birthday die from Simon Says Stamp is absolutely BEAUTIFUL, no doubt.
In fact, this very particular "Birthday Circle Die" is sold out over SSS. However, the combo set ("happy birthday" along with the word "party" die) is still available. If you are considering getting these dies, now it's a good chance. When they are gone, they are gone! This is part of the STAMPtember release and SSS has limited quantity. Do act asap if interested.

Let's get to today's two cards. I first made the card on the left...and after that, it got me thinking that perhaps I should make one WITH a video! So I made the one on the right with a video!
DSC_0012
I was feeling inspired by this die and thought it would be easier to share the process with you than explaining...Well, it was still not easy for me to make videos, but I can only get better at it if I keep trying, right?
You can see the You Tube link here.

 If you like the video, please give it a thumbs-up (see here).
That will definitely encourage me to continue to make videos.

My previous posts (see here and here) provides you more examples.
One of the things I find with a large word die is that you can "divide and conquer"
Here's one with the more feminine touch.
happy birthday
My 2nd one is based on a cool and fresh color combo.
happy birthday
I so appreciate your feedback and comments. Thanks for stopping by!

17 comments:

Gunilla/Nilla said...

Love LOVE your cards Virginia! Awesome colors, layout and details.
Have to ask my son to help me order some of the silver sparkle sequins that you have used on the blue card, so pretty! I´m not very good ordering from abroad.

I also use toothpicks for small details AND it works just fine.

Hope you have a lovely day Virgina. Hugs for you!!

Barb Ghig said...

Both cards are really beautiful, Virginia! I love how you inked and embossed the circle die cut and your details are just perfect!
Thanks so much for the video...I always enjoy them :)

Eileen Lucas said...

Great video showing how you colored your circle word die, great details.

Jackie Parkins said...

These are beautiful! Your video is wonderful, I like the embossing on only half of the die, that's a great idea. I don't think I've ever heard the band One Direction - I don't listen to the radio anymore, but I might have to check them out.

conil said...

Clever of you to emboss this die with metallics. It makes the circles diecut so interesting. Glad, too, that you filmed this. The video was the perfect way to display the technique and you explained each step so well. It goes without saying that the cards look terrific. Love how you embellished them, too.

Happy Dance said...

Great video Virginia! One Direction...you've made me smile today! Love these 'his' and 'her' cards. Really a fun die too, and I can see doing this with several kinds of dies! Thanks for the inspiration from these two beautiful cards. You're an amazing card maker. Have a great week. Bev

Ruby N said...

Simple but lovely cards, Virginia!

alexandra s.m. said...

Gorgeous cards my Friend!!
xx

Susanne Vargas said...

These cards are amazing! Absolutely love them! Great video,too!

"glow" said...

Virginia to the rescue for any one that is stumbling and grasping for inspirational videos!!!!!... and awesome talented cardss....!!!thanks sso much for the video... and heres some extra love today... love love love :)

donna mikasa said...

Love that you shared a "him" and "her" version! And your video is awesome--love the commentary and hearing your sweet voice!

Miriam Prantner said...

Gorgeous cards! Loving the inking! You are getting to be a pro with these videos!

Leni said...

Love your video! Your tips are helpfull and the cards are beautiful!

Nora N. said...

How cool are these!! LOVE the fun inking and your twofer!! I don't have time to watch the video but will be doing so on my day off tomorrow!!

Hsu Emily said...

Gorgeous cards!

Anita in France said...

Two gorgeous cards, Virginia ... such beautiful blending, wonderfully combined with the fabulous shimmery EP! Great video ... loved watching you create! Anita :)

Laura Bassen said...

"Hey, it's not a crime for a middle-aged Asian lady to like a "hot" band"....I die...I die!!!!! LOVE IT!!! Love the half embossed die cut...so genius!! Ok, now to catch up!