Sunday, October 11, 2015

Gentle Whisper (Penny Black)--Two Ways!

Happy Sunday!
Here are another TWO cards in one post!
http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?u=1083364&b=199868&m=24698&afftrack=&urllink=www%2Esimonsaysstamp%2Ecom%2Fproduct%2Easpx%3Fid%3D320343
 I know this is an older stamp now since it was released this Spring by Penny Black. It is so easy to get sucked into the latest stamps, dies, gadgets, tools....etc. BUT I am still so inspired by "Gentle Whisper" (Penny Black). I must confess this is one of my most favorite stamps of 2015. I got so many uses out of it! I did my Monthly Stamp Study #7 (see my 3 designs here) on it. The fun doesn't stop there! If you are stuck with creativity and on a limited crafting budget, I suggest you to take one thing out (be it a stamp, die...) and try out different things and ways of using it. It is the easiest and cheapest way to get your creative juice flowing!

For my first card, I purposely wanted to use only the orchid image and incorporate more textures. My inspiration came from taking the super fabulous Craftsy class "Lovely Layered Cards" from Shari Carroll.
especially for you
About this card:
~DIY Textured border: I made a die cut with the Diamond Border with burlap and then applied Gesso and Hot Mama Ink over it. Then let it dry.
~Background: I used the Christmas release Tall Timbers (Penny Black) to stamp the background without inking up the center (with the help of MISTI)
~Stretch your sentiment: I stamped part of the sentiment "especially for you at Christmas"
For my 2nd card, I challenge myself to use Distress Inks for watercoloring.
heartfelt thanks
 For the coloring, I focused on stamping the orchid image first. After the distress-inking, I used my water brush and moved the colors around and added more colors/water when needed.
As for the background? Divide and conquer! I wet a tiny area one section at a time. I then carefully applied the Distress Inks (Cracked Pistachio and Fossilized Amber) and let the water do the work. It is so soothing to play with watercolors! I think that is why it is so popular!

 Are you liking the Norwegian adventure that Dr. John shared with you yesterday?
Here are Part 1 and Part 2. I know he loves reading your comments!
Thanks for stopping by!

21 comments:

lostinpaper said...

Both of these cards are so beautiful Virginia, thanks yet again for the never ending inspiration!

Niki G said...

Really beautiful Virginia!

Dawn Turley said...

fantastic cards Virginia. Really pretty. What a lovely stamp.

Mandy LaCroix said...

VERY pretty Ms Virginia! :-)

conil said...

This orchid stamp must be very happy you chose to put it to work. And what excellent work it is. Both cards are gorgeous, for very different reasons. Layering on the first card is perfect for the almost one-layer effect and the the second card is so elegant and graceful. The careful background watercoloring looks divine.

Harriet said...

Wonderful cards, Virginia, I like the idea of challenging oneself..now to attempt to do it. Are you kidding...love the photos a truly wonderful example of good photos from a lovely area.

Carol McCready said...

Beautiful card. Love that Penny Black stamp.

Melissa Friedrich said...

Love both of these beautiful cards as well as the stamp study ones! Thanks for great tips to look at stamps, sentiments and dies in new ways. I used to fret when someone would cut apart sentiment stamps. Now, I don't think twice before cutting apart a sentiment if I only want part of it or I need it to be two lines instead of one.

Kara Lynne said...

What a wonderful post, Virginia! There is so much creative life in our stamp collections, no matter how new or how old. Gorgeous cards! I love the texture on your first card, and the watercoloring is fantastic on your second one. I really love that background color combo on the second card!

jan metcalf said...

Pretty, pretty cards!!!

Karen Hasheck said...

Beautiful cards as always! I am a follower, subscriber and fan. I am thinking of getting a camcorder/camera to start doing videos for YouTube on techniques and cards that excite me. I remember when you started, Dr. John made you a stand out of Legos for filming. I am going to ask my grandson to build me one. I was hoping to do a search to find those pictures on your blog, but no luck. Can you possibly send me a link if you know when you posted them? Also, any advice you can share about what you use (camcorder type or IPhone), and what you have learned as you have become more experienced. Thanks! Karen Hasheck at khasheck at gmail dot com

Susanne Vargas said...

Wonderful cards, both of them! They are so different, it's hard to believe you used the same stamp!

Karen Hasheck said...

Thanks so much for your help!

Lisa said...

Virginia these are beautiful!! Two amazing cards from one stamp!

Suchi said...

Beautiful cards....both of your cards are stunning! :)
Suchi xx

Miriam Prantner said...

Beautiful! Especially loving the second one with the softening from the waterbrush.

MARY D. said...

Beautiful card.. (*_*)

MARY D. said...

Beautiful card.. (*_*)

Keren Baker said...

Virginia - these are beautiful- that second one particularly is stunning! xx

Barb Ghig said...

Two really beautiful cards, Virginia! I love when you play with a stamp in a few different ways...it always inspires me!

TLady said...

I've admired this stamp since it came out & you've made it look WONDERFUL!!! LOOOOVE the colors you've chosen for both!!!! I ESPECIALLY LOVE the 2nd watercolor card!!!! ;)