Saturday, October 24, 2015

Norwegian Fjord Cruise (Part 3)

Dear Yes,Virginia...blog friends/followers. It's Dr. John here.
 I hope you enjoyed last week's post by guest photographer Stephanie. If you missed it, please click here. I like to think that I taught my daughter everything I know about photography but now she has surpassed me (her camera is fancier than mine!).  Anyway, today's post will be about our third port-of-call: Geirangerfjord, 16km/10miles long and 600m/2000ft deep, is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful scenic panoramas found anywhere in the world. So, on with the tour.

First up: giant David in the foreground with tiny Stephanie and tiny cruise ships in the background.

Next, a crazy tourist. Can you spot him in all four of these pictures? In the upper right photo, you can see the safety fences that he climbed over to get closer to the cliff. In the bottom right photo, you can see the 600m/2000ft cliff he's standing next to.

Views from Flydalsjuvet (a modern viewpoint platform).


Another waterfall.

At the summit of Mount Dalsnibba, high above the tree line at 1500m/5000ft above sea level. The photo on the left shows part of the winding road to the top (with eleven switchbacks).


Glacial lakes.

The floating metal dock that swung out to meet our ship, allowing us to embark/disembark without the need of tenders (small boats, usually the ship's lifeboats, used to send passengers ashore when the ship is too big or there's not enough room at the pier). Tendering is the scourge of cruising as it can waste a lot of time. Thus the big smiles.

"The Bridal Veil" waterfall.

The"Seven Sisters" waterfall (formed by seven separate streams that join at the top of the falls before tumbling down 250m/800ft).

"The Suitor" waterfall.

The Seven Sisters on the left and the Suitor on the right. The positioning of these waterfalls gives the appearance of a brooding suitor proposing to the sisters on the opposite side.

I hope you enjoyed today's fjord tour. Our next stop is Alesund! See you then.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 From Virginia:
That very morning, the kids and I hiked up to the nearby bakery, farm and Norsk Fyjord center.

Here is the latest classes Craftsy has to offer (with deep discounts, no code needed):
 The Lovely Layered Cards is on sale (half price--->BEST deal ever). I highly recommend it. Regardless of your level, you will learn something new from the talented Shari Carroll.
http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?u=1083364&b=253536&m=29190&afftrack=&urllink=www%2Ecraftsy%2Ecom%2Fclass%2Flovely%2Dlayered%2Dcards%2Dfrom%2Dtop%2Dto%2Dbottom%2F5254%3F%5Fct%3Dsbqii%2Dsqjuweho%2Ddum%26%5Fctp%3D2%26rceId%3D1445614576278%7Ek8aq1kje

 If you enjoy this post, please leave us a comment. We love to hear from you! 

 Thanks for stopping by! 

20 comments:

Tina Kay said...

I have absolutely loved Dr Johns postings about your Norwegian fjord cruise!

Julie C. said...

I really enjoyed Dr. John's post and those photos... are so amazing! Love it!

Elainej said...

Thank you, Dr. John, for allowing me to visit a part of the world that I will probably never get to see.

Loralee Parish said...

My vicarious journeys with you, Virginia, and John are a tremendous delight in my life. I do love to travel too, with my elderly mother, who, by the way, turns 90 shortly. She is quite the active and fun travelling companion, even now. We leave for a Mediterranean Cruise in April.
Thank You for sharing,
Loralee

conil said...

Magnificent vistas and fabulous photography make for a fascinating look and t Norway. And apparently Dr. John is the one to do it, whether his camera's as fancy as his daughter's, or not. Stunning photos...loved the ones of the guy who jumped the fence. But those waterfalls are amazing. And I love the names of them. This is another wonderful travelogue.

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Thanks for sharing. Great photos. My husband was an exchange student in Sweden and I always hoped we could visit Sweden and Norway some day.

Dotty Jo x said...

Fabulous, Jo x

Anita in France said...

Another lovely adventure through the fjords, thank you! Anita :)

Harriet said...

Lovely photos for my tired eyes. Thank you, Dr. John, Norway has beautiful vistas....my goodness where to look? Again, the smiles of Stephanie and David are wonderful. Thank you.

frommycraftroom said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos. Looks like a lovely part of the world.

mimijudy1975 said...

Dr.John, your pictures are showing me so many beautiful places that I never knew existed. I love how you explain what we are seeing thru your eyes. How great it is that we live in an age where modern photography and technology allows this to be seen by so many. I had to really look close to see David in a couple of pictures. Thank you so much for sharing.You are a wonderful teacher.
Hi Virginia. How I wish I was right there with you at the Bakeri. I love all your pictures of your trip that day.
It's nice you can all go on your vacations together.

Susanne Vargas said...

Another interesting post filled with wonderful pictures! Thank you!

Loly Borda-Towery said...

Thank you Dr John! I love your pics! Another awesome post.

Barbara said...

Great pictures! And yes, this class by Shari is fantastic and full of good tips, techniques and ideas.

Parker said...

I'm truly grateful you are sharing your trip(s) with all of us. Heartfelt thanks.

Kara Lynne said...

Wonderful photos, Dr. John! This tour you're taking us on is fantastic! I'm amazed by the beauty!

alexandra s.m. said...

Thank you so much for yet another great traveling post!
I love traveling with you Guys!
The image of the crazy guy going over the protective fence is making me queasy!

Miriam Prantner said...

Fantastic photos! Love those waterfalls!

Cris G said...

It must have been quite a trip... the landscapes are breathtakingly beautiful, and the photos are awesome! It looks like the Lu family have a special talent for photography :).

Taunya Butler said...

BEautiful pictures - thank you for sharing them with us!!