Saturday, October 31, 2015

The Life of Pie

Hello friends!
 I am not an accomplished person, but one of the things that I am most proud of is that I do know a thing or two about baking pies! You see, having grown up in Taiwan and living there till my early 20s, I had never had pies prior to my coming to Canada. Pies were a novelty to me. But it's never too late to learn a few things once you are in a new country, right? I never knew that pie-making would become such a joyful and satisfying thing to do (much like stamping). Nothing is more special than sharing a piece of homemade pie with friends and family. Over the years, I've loved making fruit pies (apple, peach and pumpkin), Chocolate Pudding Pies, Pecan Pies and Chocolate Pecan Pies. In recent years, my son David got me hooked on making Lemon Meringue Pie. David's Lemon Meringue Pie has quite a reputation and often wins rave reviews (see below, that's his pie!!)!
Well, enough of my pie talk. Here is a card with tons of PIES!
DSC_0028
 I used the pie image from the November Card Kit "Handmade with Love" and created a watercolored pie background.

 I started out with the bottom center piece of pie (in orange color) and masked my way up and stamped the entire background with pies! I also stamped and cut out a piece of pie and popped it up for the focal image. The strip of paper also came in the kit.
DSC_0011
 The coloring was easy to do. I used Spectrum Aqua Markers and used a tiny bit of water to color the images. It was fun and therapeutic...and no calories! I added the "whipped cream" with Liquid Pearl and add some shine to the pie.

It's rare that I display a card along with pies (homemade Pumpkin Pie is in the background), but for this particular card, I couldn't help it as they are so fitting, right?
 Dr. John's Fjord post will return next Saturday. Thanks for stopping by!

17 comments:

Katie Ann Brooks said...

The perfect set for you Ms. Virginia! Love your pie card and pictures of pie! :)

alexandra s.m. said...

so beautiful and "accomplished" goes perfectly well adjacent to your name my Friend!
and now I want a piece of pie, Gee, thanks Virginia!!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Love the card and your pies!

Lynn said...

I wish I could come see you to meet you and enjoy one of your pies :)! Amazing talent Virginia!

Happy Dance said...

I LOVE PIE!!! Just discussed what flavors to make for Thanksgiving with the grandkids! They're excited about helping me bake! David's lemon meringue looks delicious! And speaking of delicious, your pie card is darling! I love how you've watercolored the slices. What a fun set! I think I'd better put this set on my list; the grandkids will love it! Bev

Susi Kelly said...

I'm not sure which is yummier, Virginia - that lemony pie or your lovely pie card (since there's more pies there! LOL).
I'm a huge fan of ANYTHING lemony, so my mouth is drooling over that culinary creation - it's all in the crust, if you ask me!
And BTW, I love your take on a great movie (subject line) :-)

Jules said...

My mom used to make the best lemon meringue pie. I haven't baked a pie in decades. I think you've inspired me.

Harriet said...

I beg to differ with you Virginia.....you are an accomplished person. You challenged yourself to learn pie making ( I love to make pies, alas my daughter and son had no desire to learn to make a simple pie crust not to mention a filling), you've raised two wonderful people, you've become an extraordinary card maker and your willingness to share your life as well as you cards makes you a very special accomplished woman.

Gerry said...

I agree with everything Harriet said! You are amazing.

LauraJane:) said...

Pie oh Pie!! Love to bake and EAT them too!

conil said...

I do remember you mentioning (and showing) David's Lemon Meringue pie before. It instantly made me salivate. You see Lemon Meringue is my all time favorite pie (I may have mentioned that before, too). David's meringue is beautiful, he really knows how to get those pretty swirls. You're card is so reminiscent of Thanksgiving around here. It's so homey and lovely and reminds me that each one of my family loves a different flavored pie so, on their birthdays and Thanksgiving, I attempt to accomodate them. Needless to say, I have to make a lot of dough. My husband would probably prefer to come to your house, however, because you make his favorite...chocolate.

Nora N. said...

What an fun card this is!! I like how you repeatedly stamped that pie. I think that David's meringue pie looks so yummy. I want to reach in and take a nice, big bite. Thanks for sharing!!

Tracey McNeely said...

Love your pie card Virginia and youru yummy lemon pie too! Happy Halloween!

Miss Marissa said...

This is such a beautiful card! Could you tell me what you used to mask your watercolors and how long you let it dry? I've been having problems with this. (And by the way that lemon meringue looks amazing!)

Virginia Lu said...

Thanks, everyone, for your SWEET comments.
For Miss Marissa: For water-coloring the pies, I actually stamped and masked them in Khaki ink first. I used a thin piece of copy paper and that's it.I didn't have to wait for the pies to dry dry since all the pies were stamped. AFTER that, I colored the pies one at a time with VERY little water. That way,the watercoloring will be contained and will not run into other areas that you don't want. Hope this answers your question! I am pleased that you are inspired!

Miriam Prantner said...

This post is delicious in every way! Loving all the pies on the card and the real pies look amazing too!

Cindy Beach said...

I was just going to say that your pies are delicious but I see it's been well said. So I'll just add that your card is fresh, fun and so pretty! Love it.