Thursday, November 5, 2015

Turn Junk Into "Art"

Hello friends!
I have something fun planned for today's post! 
If you follow my blog for a long while now, you know that I love recycling. Well, today's project is all about turning nothing into something...I took some photos during the creative process and let the photos do the talking. I used a piece of card board and did something different with it. I got the idea from taking Craftsy class taught by Shari Carroll "Lovely Layers Cards". Love that class!

So, here we go.
1. gather supplies and start peeling of the top layer of the card board. I used SSS Monthly Card Kit box. The cardboard is nice and sturdy! Tear away the top layers carefully and leave some cracks in between.
2. prepare the surface with Gesso. Let dry for 5 minutes. 
3. mix Cracked Pistachio with Gesso and start applying.
4. drop the liquid paint onto the surface and mix in some more Gesso.
5. align the piece in MISTI
6. position the stamp "Holly Tweet" by Penny Black
7. apply light green to the holly leaves. Spray water and stamp
8. apply darker green and spritz of water and stamp.
 9. apply dark brown ink to the birdie and finish the rest of the stamped image.
10. ink up the edges with Tea Dye
11. add IrResistible to the berries
12. apply Tim Holtz Rub-on (white music notes and snowflakes)
13. apply distress inks to the focal image and stamp the sentiment.

I am really not sure if this is art....but it sure is a good way to make great use of a piece of cardboard.
Cherish the Season-001
Shabby Chic designs do not seem to be so chic and stylish any more. However, it is absolutely fun to add layers and images without worrying about keeping it CAS. It is highly therapeutic! Try it just for the fun of it, especially if you have never done this before.
2015-10-27 0014
I am saving this card for my in-laws :)  I hope you enjoy today's post. 
Thanks for stopping by!

16 comments:

conil said...

...and voila, you have a Virginia Masterpiece. Perfect for your View's challenge. Not a shabby chic gal, myself but love how that cardboard adds so much to this design.

Barb Ghig said...

WOW! I am loving all the texture and dimension you created on this card! So many lovely elements, too...The bird and branch, lovely sentiment, and musical notes make this card so festive! Great job, as always!

Nora N. said...

WOW!! This is STUNNING!!! I LOVE the shabby chic look and the card board with all that texture looks fabulous!!

Charlene said...

I think it turned out gorgeous!! I took that class but haven't have time to play around. I love Sheri's style, your too :-)

Anja said...

Wow thats perfect!! love it <3

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous texture and color, Virginia!!

Barb said...

Wowsers! This is absolutely gorgeous, V! LOVE how it turned out! Amazing creativity! ♥

Lisa said...

Beautifully done Virginia, this is awesome!!

Mandy LaCroix said...

Well that is super fun! I love it! May have to try that method out!

Lilian YF said...

Beautiful!!!
Lilian
The Leaf Studio

Miriam Prantner said...

Love that you used that old cardboard, this looks amazing!!!

"glow" said...

love it... thanks so much for the awesome inspiration like always:)

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

Ahhh I love this so much!

Noreen Fontana said...

Yes, I so love to recycle too! Going to finish my current project and then grab some of my cardboard that I have stashed away for projects like this. You have inspired me to do something with that stash! Thanks!

alexandra s.m. said...

Virginia is using gesso!! Yeah!! Love it when you put your mixed media cap on my Friend!
Your card is beautiful and I love that distressed look!!
HUgs~

Barbara said...

I took Shari's class, too and thought it was fabulous. I think your card is a great example of what she taught and as long as cards can be this beautiful in the Shabby Chic fashion...they'll never go out of style.