Thursday, January 14, 2016

A Card from an Accidental Discovery

Hello friends!
DSC_0797

 I am sharing a little "experience" in making today's card. I set out to create a colored die from using Heart of Roses from Simon Says Stamp. 
H
It was all because my Cuttlebug was not performing as well as I would have liked. In order to ensure the clean cut, I added two pieces of thin copy paper on top of the die and card stock before I ran it through the Cuttlebug. And then the image came through...with the white paper showing. As I lifted off the excess, the white thin paper got stuck on the die! I loved what I saw and immediately...forgot exactly what I set out to do.  So that's my little "discovery". 
DSC_0784 (1)

I did, however, added tiny bit of glue in all needed area. This was the tedious part...but it was well worth it because most white parts stayed in place.Because this heart piece is so ornate, I decided to keep the rest simple.
2016-011
I added a piece of vellum and added translucent gemstones, twines for the touches. I love the Ombre sentiment from the die "thanks". BTW the current Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge is ....Ombre (see here)!!
This card reminded me of the Cameo pieces that we saw at Cellini Gallery (see my travel post here) in Pompeii in Dec. 2012.
Well, I hope that you find this post interesting...crafting has its way of taking you to places!
I am so glad that I had this accidental discovery.
Thanks for stopping by!

15 comments:

Barb said...

Cool "accident" V! It looks so pretty and I love how you added the twine and sequins! Beautiful card! ♥

Pam said...

Beautiful card! Love accidents like that.

Susi Kelly said...

What a beautiful "accident", Virginia - your card is stunning!

Karen B. said...

Be still my purple beating heart. How beautiful!

Marlena M. said...

Happy accidents are worth it. ;) Love the look Virginia~

Tracey McNeely said...

Virginia that is so pretty, a happy experiment!

Darnell J Knauss said...

a) Your card is CASlicious in every way, V, and b) thank you so much for sharing your brilliant discovery! I've had part of a paper shim stick in the bits before, but never enough for my light bulb to go off the way your's did!! Pinning!! Hugs, Darnell

Harriet said...

Aren't cameos simply beautiful? Your card is beautiful too, so brilliant when something unexpected happens while card making that simply shines.

conil said...

Just love happy "accidents", especially when it's a crafty one. Also love that you used ombre'd purple to make this card. It's elegant and eye-catching plus, of course, it's beautiful.

alexandra s.m. said...

You are the best at turning "accidents" into master pieces!
Love your card Virginia!!

Happy Dance said...

Aren't some of the greatest inventions created just like this?! I love accidentally on purpose brilliance! Gorgeous card. That roses-filled heart is amazing. And while I'm not a huge purple fan, this is just stunning in lavender. Love the vellum panel too. Very pretty! Bev

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

Wow how beautiful!!! What a happy accident!

Shelly said...

Well if this isn't a happy accident, then I don't know what is!?!...Love this! So pretty!

Lisa said...

Now THAT'S a happy accident, beautiful card Virginia!!

Dawn Turley said...

fabulous. Love the idea of using some white paper for the negative