Friday, January 8, 2016

Use Intricate Dies as Stencils!

Hello friends!
DSC_0700
You probably know this already...but have you tried using dies as stencils
I did this before, but today's card is a really good example. 
s
I find the die Heart of Roses really is intricate and decide to use one of the rose in the die as a stencil.
First, it's about the heart...I die cut the heart with the thickest white card stock and layering it with dark kraft card stock. That was the easy part. The next part is all about the stenciling. Carefully apply Distress Ink (Fossilized Amber and Bundled Sage). One leaf/rose at a time. Once you get it going, it is really easy!
love you-001
One more note...recently I finally got the Mini Round Ink Applicator ( I know, I am cheap like that). However, I must say that the mini sponges really come in handy for a task like this, especially for adding the yellow to the roses!
love you (close-up)
Lastly, I stamped the sentiment "love you" from Texting. Add the gold strings and enamel dots. Done! I hope this card inspires you to use your die in more creative ways.

My 2nd Leading Lady post for Winnie and Walter is coming up this Saturday, I hope you will check it out! If you miss the first post, be sure to comment for a chance to win $30 gift card to W&W shop.
Thanks for stopping by!

22 comments:

Lynn said...

Stunning! Love how you always teach us to stretch our supplies Virginia.

Vicki Finger said...

Very Pretty, Virginia. I'm waiting for this die to be back in stock!

nlwilson46 said...

Gorgeous Virginia! Always enjoy your cards. Nice to learn new ways to use supplies.

Susi Kelly said...

With results as beautiful as your card, Virginia, I need to give this technique a try!

Pam said...

Beautiful card! I love how you used only the roses as a stencil.

Karen B. said...

Truly Beautiful!

*Vicki* said...

Such a clever idea and so gorgeous!! :)

sandie said...

This is a fabulous idea. I just got some really detailed dies and hadn't thought of using them like this. Thanks for the tip and Happy New Year x

Barb said...

Love that gorgeous background, Virginia! Such a fun and effective way to use a die-cut! It turned out beautifully! ♥

conil said...

Immediately gasped when I first saw this on Facebook. You brain must be chock full of ideas like this brilliant one. Using the die as a stencil really made this background extraordinary. Gorgeous card.

Charlene said...

Gorgeous Virginia!!!! Like knock my socks off gorgeous :-)

Kelly Griglione said...

LOVE this Virginia! You would never know those tiny roses came from a HEART die. Way to get more mileage out of your supplies!! So smart : )

Amy said...

This is gorgeous! Can't wait to give this technique a try!

Darnell J Knauss said...

You are right, V, this really is a beautiful die for stenciling and, wow, have you have shown us how it can be expertly sponged! It's so pretty!! Happy New Year! Hugs, Darnell

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Such a gorgeous stenciled background, Virginia!!

Harriet said...

Virginia, this card is excellent. And -no- I haven't tried to use a die in this way....but maybe it's time.

Gloria Lee said...

Hi Virginia!
So beautiful roses and heart!
Love your design!

alexandra s.m. said...

Genius! Love your happy card Virginia!

Lisa said...

Beautifully done Virginia, this isi incredible!!

Cindy C. said...

Splendid!! Very lovely design!!

Barb Ghig said...

Gorgeous blending with your inks, Virginia! I love how you placed Kraft c/s inside the rose die cut, too...so pretty!

D.Ann C said...

What a lovely card and terrific idea!!