Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Working with an Ornate Die

Hello friends!
s
I am popping in to share a quick card...with an ornate die "Flower Heart" Thin Metal Die from Penny Black. At first glance, I thought this die may be too ornate and finicky to work with. BUT, after die cutting and working on it, it is such a lovely one!

My approach for this card is a little unconventional...I used the negative die cut piece as well.  You know that occasionally I love a little good "drama" on my cards. What could be better to have some watercolor for the extra "oomph" effect?
DSC_0754 (2)

I don't know about you, I have been watching out for the latest new hot products from CHA via social media. I find that the tried and true coloring medium such as Distress Inks are still my absolute favorite. I love the ease of using Distress Ink Pads on the acrylic block and smooshing the colors onto card stock. And that's how I created this "dramatic" background.

 I tried Distress Markers, Distress Paint,...they are all fine, but I hardly use them. And the latest Distress Crayons?! They look like Gelatos to me! I have to yet to try and find out and will keep you posted.
DSC_0752 (2)
As for those small white dotty details? I used Pico Embellisher (white) to add that final touches. I love that stuff! If you are not familiar with Pico Embellisher, time to take note. These little paint droplets are amazing since you can control the flow through a teeny tiny nozzle. If you can't collect them all, I highly recommend the white one! 

Lastly, a little fun share...
These are just some of the Christmas cards that I gave away to daughter's church friends.
Yup, this encourages me to make MORE :)
Thanks for stopping by!




20 comments:

Lisa said...

Love it when you break out that drama Virginia!! PRETTY card!!

Teresa Doyle said...

Oh my goodness Virginia, what a beautiful card and THAT DIE! Oh my DEAR! Love it!

Arina O said...

Woohoo! Your comment is back! :) I did have a panic moment - I seriously thought I was the one that deleted it with a moment of overzealous clicking!
Another gorgeous card! I love it! The die cut is so intricate and skillfully applied! Now, on the "smooshing" topic :) I read that you put your colors on an acrylic block and then applied - I will have to try that out! I love finding alternative methods of executing new techniques & and will be trying this method asap!

Karen D. said...

lovely cards mf....
Hope you are keeping warm and cozy.
Happy New Year!
hugs,
Karen

Pam said...

Beautiful card!

Karen B. said...

The smooshing effect os awesome with this die. Great card!

Shelly said...

Oooh, I would have hesitated with this die, too!...Though, you did an amazing job with it!! I absolutely LOVE this!!
And such beautiful Christmas cards, too!

jan metcalf said...

Gorgeous card! Love the colors!

Patty said...

Very pretty!! Also an awesome set of Christmas cards!!

Harriet said...

Your card is wonderful. The die is really beautiful although at first glance intimidating. You took away the intimidation by showing us your lovely card. Like you, I use Distress inks a lot and appreciate their versatility.

Barb said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty! Gorgeous water coloring, Virginia! Love this card! ♥

sandie said...

Love this Virgina, gorgeous use of the die and love those white drops, need to see if I can find that in U.K

Linda S. said...

I so much appreciate you keeping us abreast of new items coming out at CHA. My thoughts on the new crayons were pretty much like yours,...but I vow to keep an open mind and trust you to not guide us down the wrong path. Your card today is lovely. I'm glad that die is workable, cause it's a beauty.

conil said...

First, that card is stunning. Love the watercolor-y background with the inlaid diecut, which, by the way, is gorgeously colored.
Second, have to say, I thought the same thing when I saw the distress crayons. They appear to be just like Gelatos.

LauraJane:) said...

Worth your efforts on the heart card..and I agree, the tried and true Distress Inks are still my favorite too:)

Tracey McNeely said...

Beautiful die Virginia, what a fabulous watercoloured background.

Deepti said...

Breath taking beauty! Love that the die is green :) makes it pop beautifully

Happy Dance said...

Soooo pretty. I always worry about buying dies that might be too ornate, but after seeing this card, I may try one or two. As always, your watercoloring with the DIs is lovely. The greens and pinks and yellows are just delightful. And that sentiment is amazing. Love that font. Beautiful card. Bev

Dawn Turley said...

Just love the gorgeous background with the stunning intricate die. It is amazing.

Barb Ghig said...

You've done an amazing job with this die, Virginia! Gorgeous watercoloring, and I love how you stamped the sentiment...so pretty!
I'll bet Stephanie's Church friends loved your cards...they're really beautiful :)