Monday, February 29, 2016

Stamping A Border Background

Hello friends! Today is Leap Year so I am taking this extra day to get a little chatty.
First of all, I'd like to chat about my stamping history (please feel free to scroll down if this is boring to you).

I was introduced to stamping by my LSS lady, Marilyn, in the mid 90s. I was instantly amazed and was eager to learn everything under the sun. However, life got busy. With my job (running Dr. John's medical office) and raising two active kids, I had little time to cultivate my hobby.
 (life before stamping/blogging)

Fast forward to 2008....

It was not until my daughter started college that I picked up stamping again and started to play online challenges. Not only did I discover stamping, I also immersed myself in the wonder of the World Wide Web!! I met sweet and kind crafting friends, near and far.  Meanwhile, I also learned to "make do" with less. I had few supplies and found that this stamping business can get expensive (boy, was I naive!!). To make a long story short, I got so addicted to it. The first time I went to a major Scrapfest event in 2009, I came back with loads of "stuff". By today's standards, it was nothing, but back then my kids were shocked by how much I "splurged" and let myself go......! I'll always remember the look on my daughter Stephanie's face when she saw the pile of supplies that I had purchased-- eyes wide open and tongue sticking out....Well, you get the picture!
Now, they don't even bother to look/check what comes in my happy mail :)

Why did I even mention my stamping history?
Because today's card reminded me of my "simple stamping" days. All you need is ONE stamp.
thanks

There is nothing fancy about this card: good old-fashion stamping and masking.
 The pleasure of simple stamping has not changed (thank goodness).  

Thanks for stopping by!


16 comments:

sandie said...

Great to hear this! And your card is fabulous. I still just love to stamp rather than anything else. Have a good day xx

Rahmat said...

Its a beauty Virginia, there is no need of anything else other than stamping.
I found myself crafting only since 2 years, with my kids becoming more and more independent, and I can't sit idle without doing anything.

Dawn Turley said...

Sometimes it's perfect to go back to basics and this is one of those times Virginia. It is a really pretty card. Thanks for sharing your stamping journey.

Lynn said...

Love, love, love to hear your history! An all stamped card is my favorite. So stunning Virginia.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Darling card, Virginia! Yes, it's good to reflect back on our stampy beginnings! Too bad there's no more ScrapFest to enjoy together!!

Betty Keefe said...

such a pretty card Virginia - enjoyed reading your memories (reminded me of Joan B's funny story)- but what a rewarding creative addiction we have - i tell my daughter it keeps me off the streets!!

Karen B. said...

Your card is beautiful! My journey is much like yours...

Noreen Fontana said...

Lovely Virginia. I too started in the mid '90s. So much has changed, yet so much can still be made simply. I spent way too much on my products in 2015 and really am looking forward to just creating this year. I'm sure I will continue to purchase, but my goal is to create with what I have first! Thanks for sharing your beautiful art.

Harriet said...

Virginia, You remind us of each of us. How a simple yet rewarding hobby becomes huge. As stamps continue to evolve, we tend to forget the simplicity that brought us to this creative hobby. Thanks for the reminder.

Barb said...

You're so right, V! Creating a card with emphasis on stamping can be beautiful! Love it! ♥

Barb Ghig said...

A stunning example of how to make do with less...I love the bright spring colors, and how you added the darling hearts to your design! Beautiful card, Virginia...and so inspiring to all of us :)

GeeCee said...

Love your card! My journey with papercrafting sounds very much like yours. Love hearing about how other people started their love of papercrafting. I fell fast and hard. Couldn't learn fast enough. And yes...the WWW. I was doomed...I was up till the wee hours in the morning and going to bed with frozen arm...LOL! Thank you for sharing your journey.

conil said...

Simple stamping and masking are still the best and you're a master at it. And if you happen to have a Pico Embellisher handy, you can create massive amounts of eye candy (Wow! That rhymes). Anyway, love this card...kinda says it all. Happy February 29th.

Happy Dance said...

I started out scrapbooking, and when my friend Sandy tried to get me to make cards, I wasn't interested one bit. Fast forward to DH spending $22 on a few Valentines for some of our grandchildren and those were the last cards I've ever bought! Loved hearing about your journey, and the wonderful hobby it is, and this fantastic community online. You are right; all we really need is one stamp set. This beautiful card proves that and then some! Sweet yellow daffodils and a perfect sentiment. Great card, Virginia and I'm so glad we've 'met.' Bev

Cindy C. said...

So fun to read about your stamping journey!! And you're absolutely right, beautiful cards could be created with using just one stamp set!!

Miriam Prantner said...

You have come a long way! I'm glad you found something you enjoy so much and it is wonderful meeting new friends! Keep splurging! ;)