Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Distress Crayons (SSS March Card Kit)

Hello friends!
I am popping in to share a new product with you with my takes on March Card Kit.
s
Yes, we are talking about Tim Holtz Distress Crayons by Ranger. This product was revealed in this winter CHA. As soon as I saw the demo, I was intrigued...and ordered myself a set from SSS. 

The arrival of the Distress Crayons set coincided with the March Card Kit (one Distress Crayon is included). It seems to be the perfect match to use them both....here are my 3 cards.
Card #1 "you're my kind of peep"
peep #2
Wish Distress Crayons, I love how easy it is to blend the colors to the next.
 
Card #2 "Hoppy Easter"
Happy Easter
I created the colorful background with Distress Crayons. With a damp finger, the inks were easy to blend. I used the outline stamps (use the cutout dies as masks) and did a number of peeps. The polka dot background was stamped.

Card #3"Hoppy Easter"
Hoppy Easter
My thoughts on the Distress Crayons: 
They ARE very similar to Gelatos (Faber-Castel). I did an extensive comparison of Gelatos and Distress Crayson (DC for short).

~DC are creamier (less grainy and chalky) and are easier to blend than Gelatos
~DC colors are vibrant and gorgeous. They come in 3 sets at the moment.
~Gelatos have many more color choices since they have been around for a few years now.
~DC requires less water to blend. Using finger tips is the best way for me.
~DC are actually cheaper. It costs just above $2 each, whereas one Gelato costs $2.50 or up to $4.50 for a larger size.   

I am guessing that Ranger will come up with more colors later.  The downside for me is that I have A LOT of Gelatos (first world problem). However, I REALLY like how the Distress Crayons work/blend and will consider to get the rest of the collections. If you have never tried Gelatos before and do not own any, I would suggest you to get Distress Crayons instead. 
2016-021
You'd think I created so many cards with this kit....well, it is so addictive to play with these cute peep images. I have MORE to share! 
peep #2
The sentiment says how I feel about YOU-->my fellow stamping friends, readers/followers.
Thank you for stopping by!

edited: if you have tried Distress Crayons or Gelatos, please share your thoughts in your comments! You may click on the links below to purchase online from Simon Says Stamp with a discount of 10% off your purchase – use code: 10MARCHTH



14 comments:

Dawn Turley said...

I did wonder if it was worth getting these Virginia. Thanks for doing the comparison . They looks amazing on your cards. Some serious saving need me thinks!!!

Happy Dance said...

I have tried the Gelatos, and was not impressed with them, as my coloring skills aren't quite what I'd like them to be, but after seeing this sweet group of cards, I just might give the DCs a try. I love all these darling peeps cards; my son has always loved peeps so this might be a set to purchase! Great cards. Bev

Judy Rozema said...

Lovely and vibrant colors!! Thank you for the comparison. I got one crayon with the Peeps and liked the way it felt on the paper when applied. Super cute card ideas!

Miriam Prantner said...

Thanks for the thoughts! I really like my gelatos, so I've been curious about the crayons.

Karen B. said...

These look interesting for sure...your samples turned out amazing!

conil said...

I've got tons of gelatos but I'm going to try DC crayons. I trust your judgment...and I like the idea that they're esasier to blend. LOve that you've had so much fun with this kit. The results are adorable.

Annette Allen said...

those crayons look fun.. I love your colorful cards..

alexandra s.m. said...

Beautiful cards Virginia and tanks for the review on the two products ;)
xx

Harriet said...

I appreciate your suggestion as I have no Gelatos. These cards are super cute. I especially like the gingham grass. The colors are excellent.

Lisa said...

Oh gosh are these ever cute and just oozing with Spring!

Jinny Newlin said...

Eeek! These bunnies are too cute, and I love the array of color you've got going on here!

Ksenija Rizova said...

Virginia, thank you for the comparison ☺️

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Darling peep cards, Virginia, and I read your comparison of Gelatos and DCs with interest. I have no Gelatos and just bought all three packs of DCs last Monday at an LSS. I haven't had a chance to use them yet so I thank you for your take on them!

donna mikasa said...

I'm still on the fence about those crayons but you're making it very hard to resist! LOVE all the rainbow goodness on your peeps!