Tuesday, April 12, 2016

A DIY Planter with Orchid

Hello friends!
Don't let my misleading title fool you into thinking that I am a gardener! Because I certainly do not have green thumbs. However, I can make anything look GREEN on paper.  

Here are the products that prompted me with the ideas...The woven textures got me thinking again!
s

s


This is the result. 
you brighten my day
About the card:
 the orchid flowers: 
  created with alcohol inks on vellum and Distress Inks on watercolor paper
 the planter:
  1. make a small rectangle die cut (such as Memory Box Pinpoint Rectangle Dies)
  2. Color the watercolor paper and let dry.
  3. trim/cut off the corners to create a planter (make sure they are symmetrical).
  4. sandwich the piece with the embossing folder Woven and run it through the die cut machine

you brighten my day (close-up) (2)

So...what do you think? I just love to make my supplies work for me.
Hope this post inspires you to think outside the planter/box!

Thanks for stopping by!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  For your next purchase over Simon Says Stamp, use code: 5CASH to get $5 off (expires April 15).

22 comments:

Dawn Turley said...

super cute idea Virginia.

Suzanne said...

What a great idea!!! Thanks so much for sharing and your card is stunning!!!!!!

graham Brand said...

I love your card, Virginia. You and I are the same kind of gardener!!!

Teresa Doyle said...

Oh, very pretty Virginia!

Susanne Vargas said...

This looks fantastic! Artsy but still kind of CAS! Love how you combined watercolor paper with vellum!

creatingincolors said...

Great idea with the woven basket and die cut flowers. Love this card!

pcm said...

gorgeous!

Tracey McNeely said...

Beautiful orchid!

alexandra s.m. said...

Brilliant!
Love it Virginia!
Thank You~

shirley-bee said...

This is fabulous, Virginia! It's got me looking at all my flower dies and embossing folders!

Barbara said...

Lovely card. Great concept!

Charlene said...

Wonderful idea! Your cards are always so vibrant and beautiful!!

Harriet said...

Brilliant, Virginia, and a very good reminder that we need to look at our supplies more creatively. Your orchids are lovely.....orchids are supposed to be easy to care for....maybe one day I'll give one a try.

Betty Keefe said...

well i think it's just lovely and so so clever of you!

Julie C. said...

Absolutely love the look, Virginia!

conil said...

Oooh, ooooh...that basket and those glorious orchids. I'm crazy over them.

Lisa said...

Your creativity never ceases to amaze me! This is wonderful Virginia!!

artful-notions said...

Gorgeous, Virginia! Love those orchids!

Niki G said...

Oh my! Talk about gorgeous! Love the look and how you brought that die to life!!

Happy Dance said...

Wonderful planter box orchid card, Virginia. As always, your watercoloring is scrumptious! Such a sweet card! Love it. Bev

Riswana Fathima said...

Wow this is amazing.! Loved the planter idea & the orchids are gorgeous.!! <3

Barb Ghig said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!