Monday, April 25, 2016

Watercolor Fun with Kuretake

Hello friends!
I resisted and resisted....but I couldn't.
s
 I have recently got myself a set of  Zig Kuretake Gansai Tambi Watercolor (36). Yay! 
s
Poppy Gems

 I am no water-coloring expert, but this paint set really seems to make a difference! The entire set you see is what you get. The paint is neatly contained and organized in a BOX and no fuss, no muss.
clsoe-up

 While I was coloring the images, my son David came to my craft room and saw the Kuratake watercolor set and remarked: "Wow, serious stuff....this makes you look like a REAL artist!"
Well, son, that is the idea :) 

DSC_0096 (6)  
What I love about  Kuretake Watercolors....
You can ink and control the depth and shades of colors effortlessly. The inks are very so creamy and easy to apply! I also think it offers great color options. Even though I got the biggest set, you really need about 18-24 colors. If you mix the colors, you can have way more color options than what the actual set offers. The colors that prompted me to decide that I "need" the entire set are Cornflower Blue , Pale Aqua and metallic elements such as silver , gold and white (how cool is that!!). It is obvious as to why only the 36 color set carries those colors...they want you to to go BIG and spend $ (LOL)!  And if you think that Kuretake set is expensive... then think copics! You get the entire set for far less money with this Watercolor set. To me, it is a good deal! 

How is Kuretake Watercolor different from Peerless Watercolors
Peerless is great for the price and choice of colors.  However, I do not like how it it organized and they can be messy after being used for a while. You have less control over the depth of colors as they are paint swatches after all. I know this is almost like comparing apples and oranges...it all comes down to your own preference. If you can afford Kuretake, I'd say skip the Peerless and just get Kuretake already!

s
In case you are wondering where the happy birthday sentiment came from...it is from this die set called "Pillow Box". It's part of the ice cream..., see?
DSC_0102 (6) 
I splashed black at the end for dramatic effect. I think I am in love with these watercolors now...
I'd say....save the money and don't buy coloring books! Get a water-coloring set like Kuretake will be a better "investment"! Besides, who doesn't want to be the REAL artist?  

s
 Lastly, I am pleasantly surprised to be the Featured Stamper this week (see here)
 If you like to CASE any of my cards in SplitcoastStamper site, feel free to browse here.

Thanks for stopping by! 

19 comments:

Hsu Emily said...

This is adorable!

Cathy said...

Very pretty.

OceanLover said...

Not only are the flowers well done, the background shading is perfection! More watercolor, please?

richardbreaks said...

Wow, Virginia, if this is a beginner's work, I can tell we have some visual treats ahead of us! Just lovely!

Susi K. said...

This post is very timely (for me), as I've been researching watercolour mediums (better late than never, right?). If buying this set makes my watercolour projects this beautiful, Virginia, you've got me sold on it! Such a gorgeously coloured card.

Barb said...

They ARE wonderful, aren't they? Always fun to get a new toy to play with! Your card is gorgeous, V! ♥

Harriet said...

Lovely colors on your flowers. Methinks you will enjoy your water colors very much and create beautiful cards using them. Good for you to treat yourself.

Angie said...

You made me smile with your son's comment. I have gotten a few of those myself! Gorgeous water coloring!!! Beautiful card, I keep scrolling up and down to look at both views! Thanks for the review of the watercolors. They are now on my wishlist! Congrats on FS at SCS! How fun is this, I found a new favorite artist to follow this morning and then I find a comment on my blog from her! Have a great week!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

This is gorgeous! And yay for the new water colors! I love mine!

Shelly said...

This is stunning, Virginia!! Love it!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Beautiful! You are an artist!

Susanne Vargas said...

I am still trying to resist them but it got even harder after reading your post. It's just I have already 3 sets of watercolors... Do I really need another one? But I do want them...
Pretty card!

conil said...

Yes indeed. Love my Kuretakes...you're going to have so much fun. Doesn't David know you are an artist...how can he possibly miss it? Love the card. So glad you indulged yourself...Yay for you.
Saw your Splitcoast Stampers announcement. Such a well-deserved honor and they're using one of my most favorite cards of yours to showcase your wonderful work.

Karen B. said...

Thanks for the tips! Now I want a set! Beautiful cards too!

Barbara said...

Nice watercolored cards. You will continue to love these watercolors as you use them more! Just painted a little beach scene for a card for my nephew's birthday with my Kuretake set. I have the 24 set but may order the gold and silver pans for I would love to have those, as well!

Angela Restad said...

It's beautiful, I was hoping there was going to be a video��

Miriam Prantner said...

Love the loose, bright look of this card! Beautiful!

Lisa said...

What a beauty Virginia!! I've been eyeing those paints too, glad to know they are worth it!!

Gunilla/Nilla said...

This card is sooo beautiful Virginia, LOVE IT!
I want the Kuretake toooo BUT they are sooo hard to find in Sweden :(

Hugs for you/Gunilla