Tuesday, May 17, 2016

How to Add Colors Without Coloring

 How to Add Colors Without Coloring?

Huh...?
I know, I know, the title of this post is a bit deceiving. 
But...hear me out.
I am often intimidated with coloring, especially animals and people images. 
I like to cheat find ways to achieve idiot-proof and decent results with minimum coloring.
s
I am using this set "Cuddly Critters"  as my example/experiment. 

I like to stamp on the backside of the stamps. This works perfectly with image that are symmetrical. For example, you can use this trick to stamp the bear, doggie and koala bear (panda requires no coloring, so there's no need for that). 
THANKS-001

First, I stamped the backside of the koala bear with Wet Cement (Hero Arts). I then flipped it over and stamped the bear with Versafine Ink.  The pink cheeks and hearts were colored with Distress Crayon (Picked Raspberry). I also stamped the flowers with Birthday Flowers stamp set. I created the frame with Pinpoint Stitched Dies (Memory Box) and then ran it through Woven Embossing Folder.

Thanks
 I had a blast creating this cute card :) 
Now...don't forget to enter my "Spread The Love" Giveaway (see top right side bar).
Thanks for stopping by!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In case you are shopping, the code for Simon Says Stamp is "Breezy".
It will take $5 off for purchase over $5 or more (valid till June 15)!  
Here are what's on sale. 
New release: Dads and Grad

14 comments:

Susi K. said...

Great technique for us "non-colouring cardmakers", Virginia! Resulted in a perfectly adorable Koala Bear :-)

Marianne said...

I've been meaning to use this technique, but I was thinking more of my flower stamps. Even if they are not fully symmetrical, you could use this technique for a loose effect. Love how your koala bear turned out. Also love that pretty frame. Will have to check out these new embossing folders.

Karen B. said...

Great tip and cute card!

Barb said...

Sweet card, Virginia! Fun idea and I love how you framed your adorable Koala! ♥

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Darling koala bear card, Virginia! Good reminder about using the backs of stamps (usually when I do that it's because I got them backwards and end up with a black blob - LOL). I thought you might be going for using colored paper - that's my favorite way to avoid coloring :)

Migdalia said...

Adorable! Fun tip!!
Have a wonderful day,
Migdalia

Harriet said...

Brilliant idea, Virginia. One of the many reasons your blog sings to me....use the stamp back, stamp again and voila a colored whatever. In this case, the bear is adorable. I especially like the woven folder. Another winner with a great, great hint!!!

conil said...

I keep forgetting to use the backside for color...so glad you've reminded me. Thanks. The card turned out adorably...the frame is brilliant.

foleysfriend said...

Thanks for this tip, Virginia. I seem to struggle keeping the colour in the lines (must have not practiced enough in primary school). :)

Lisa said...

Awww, this is darling Virginia!!

Isabelle Siry said...

What a cute card ! Interesting technique, thanks for sharing it with us.

Melissa Friedrich said...

Super adorable card, thanks for the reminder to look at both the back and front of my stamps!

Jenn Paci said...

I am loving this card! And your idea of stamping with the back side of the stamp in genious!!! I never thought of that. I will definitely be trying it, thanks so much.

Nicole Parmentier said...

Love the blurriness of the color stamped with the back of the stamp, love his pink cheecks, love the frame you created, love the colors... well you get my point I guess... Love your card ;-)