Friday, May 20, 2016

Virginia's Die Hard Series Part 2

Hello friends!

Are you as excited as I am to share my 2nd project with the Die Hard Series!!? Well, here we go!
Last week I shared this card (see banner photo).
s

With the same die Serenity Thin Metal Die (Penny Black), this is my 2nd take. 
It was easy to come up with the 2nd card because I was left with a white negative die after making the 1st card. I thought it was too good to go to waste. 
I then created a sprayed background for the tree... and this is the result.
Happy Birthday

I love the subtle textured look from the green (with a bit of yellow) sprayed paint. A small strip of burlap was added to ground the image and keep the design in balance. I used Distress Ink (Antique Linen) for the tree trunk.
DSC_0237 (1)

 I realized that this would make a great masculine card and so I purposely left out the sequins, gemstones, pearls and any teeny tiny shiny objects.  I was reminded by the guys in my family that they do not care for those objects in their cards!!!  However, I could not help myself by adding a piece of gold ribbon twine on top.

2016-056
 I love that this card is rather flat, textured and mail/male-friendly :)

What do you think? Do you like this version? Well, wait till you see the next one (coming next Friday) and you will be amazed what a tree die can do!!
Hope your day is wonderful! Thanks for stopping by!

By the way, Craftsy is celebrating 5-year old birthday and has offered some great deals on favorite classes. I just signed up Luminous Watercolor Mixing. I think I can use some help in mixing watercolors and will let you know how I like the class. Also, my two talented card-making friends are offering the following classes that are worth checking out.

Simply Stunning Art Journals by Vicky P.
and  
Fresh Eyes on Your Card-making Supplies by Miriam P. 
Craftsy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In case you are shopping, the code for Simon Says Stamp is "Breezy"
It will take $5 off for purchase over $5 or more (valid till June 15)!  
Here are what's on sale. 
New release: Dads and Grads

15 comments:

Sheila H said...

I live this, Virginia. And the burlap is a perfect touch.

Brenda said...

Gosh Virginia, I saw your first interpretation and loved it, but heck, this second version is the bomb! Absolutely stunning and I love the burlap strip at the bottom!

Karen B. said...

A completely different look and just as stunning.

alexandra s.m. said...

Only YOU coud be this creative with a simple tree creative Die!!
C'est Magnifique! ;o)

Ksenija said...

Virginia, juicy green looks so beautiful in combination with natural burlap. Great idea of using the same die in different ways, love your idea! - Sweet Kobylkin

windinstarsranch said...

This is just lovely. (As a tree) Great idea. Thanks for sharing. I always try to hang on to my "remains" from die cutting. There are so many possibilities. Love your take. Made me think of brushos too.

Chark said...

love both of these tree cards! gorgeous bg!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

Wow! This is gorgeous!!!

conil said...

Now look at that. My spraying never comes out this good, no matter how far or near I spray from. You make it look easy. Think you absolutely right, this does make a great masculing card...and the burlap grounding the tree is the perfect texture. Very lovely (or should I say, handsome).

Harriet said...

I like your card very much. Adding burlap not ads texture but grounds the tree beautifully. Looking forward to next Friday.

Annette Allen said...

wow that tree is outstanding.. I LOVE THIS

Kara Lynne said...

Fabulous tree! You are right, that's a great masculine card. I love the burlap with it too.

Susi K. said...

Lovely how you used the negative space and filled it with colour - great touch with the burlap too!

Teresa Doyle said...

I absolutely love your card Virginia. It's fantastic. Masculine cards are always a struggle for me and this is perfect for ANY man. The burlap is a great finishing touch as well! A great job and I can't wait to see what you have for us for next Fri.

Lisa said...

What a GREAT use of the tree die!! This is wonderful!