Friday, May 27, 2016

Virginia's Die Hard Series Part 3

Hello friends!
It's time to reveal my 3rd take on this Tree die from Penny Black.
s
  Serenity Thin Metal Die (Penny Black)
The banner photo shows my first and this was my 2nd take.
Happy Birthday

This week's project is to change the look of the tree and make it work. 
 I have created two cards based on the same design idea but with different supplies.

Card #1
HELLO

First, I created colorful paper with alcohol inks on vellum.  Then I arranged two tree dies in creative ways. The card looks intricate, but it really is easy to create if you just let the die do its work.

DSC_0259
With the right amount of embellishments, this card is done! If you are new to alcohol inks, the Tim Holtz Summer Blending pack will be ideal to start. If you want to save money on getting Ink Applicator, you can use felt (preferably white) to substitute.

Card #2
you're so special
With watercolor paper (sprayed with paint), this card is quite organic. I added a piece gold glitter paper and stripe to draw the eyes to the sentiment. The sentiment was embossed in Platinum (Hero Arts).

DSC_0344

With the two mediums (alcohol inks and sprays), you can create something pretty and unexpected with your existing dies. 

What do you think? Hope you think that I do the tree die justice! In case you do not get enough of this Serenity die, here is an awesome post and video from Penny Black artist Jill Foster.  Enjoy!
There will be one more version to come next week. Hope you stick around.
Thanks for stopping by!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 In case you are shopping, the code for Simon Says Stamp is "Breezy".
It will take $5 off for purchase over $5 or more (valid till June 15)!  
Good chance to stock up on Ranger products! Use "RANGER20" to get 20% off.
s
Here are what's on sale. 
 Here are what's new.


17 comments:

Sheila H said...

These are breath taking, Virginia. I love the alcohol ink on vellum.

Betty Keefe said...

love this Virginia - such wonderful colors - so creative!!

Arlene said...

Fantastic! WOOHOOO Beautiful examples.

alexandra s.m. said...

You are TOO clever my Friend!
Your cards are stunning!
xx

richardbreaks said...

Oh oh oh!, love these so much!

Karen B. said...

So much fun!

conil said...

Amazing how those diecut branches add so much texture and interest. Of course, you embellished them to a tee. Both are beautiful.

Harriet said...

I think your use of this die is remarkable. You are so inventive. These cards are truly wonderful. Who would have thought one die could be used is so many way.....why .. you---Virginia. Thanks because I plan on looking at my dies with different eyes from now on.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

What great cards using that tree die, Virginia - so varied and colorful!

Cecilia Hsieh said...

Wow! So beautiful! The last card reminds me of coral!

Dawn Turley said...

You always come up with innovitative ways to use dies, Virginia, and this is no exception. Both are stunning.

GeeCee said...

Beautiful card Virginia!! Only you can flip a few dies around on a card base and come up with such beautiful works of art! I love what you did with your tree die! Thank you again!

Chriss Blagrave said...

Brilliant and stunning cards, Virginia! So very clever 😊

Bonnie said...

What a creative way to use this die, Virginia! I'd have never thought of that, but I'll be CASEing it, I'm sure!

Teresa Doyle said...

You have definitely done this die justice Virginia. Just beautiful cards!

Miriam Prantner said...

Love these! They kind of remind me of coral!

Laura Bassen said...

These are STUNNING!!!!!!