Monday, June 13, 2016

The Virtue of Distress Inks and MISTI

Hello friends!
My latest obsession is the Altenew Stamp. 
s
Peony Bouquet (Altenew) 
There are so many ways to approach this stamp set with different types of supplies and techniques. 
I decided that I should try using the stamps with the good old-fashioned/tried and true Distress Inks. Of course, I have to use my trusty MISTI for color layering and repeated stamping.

Much like any watercolor markers (Spectrum Aqua Markers) that I used in my previous video (see here), Distress Inks is another great way to stretch your supplies. I do not own lots of Copics and do not plan to invest more.  Using my current stash of Distress Inks give me plenty of color options.

thank you for everything

Treating Distress Inks  as my coloring medium, I used a small brush to ink up the Distress Inks on the acrylic blocks and colored the image. I did all the stamping with MISTI and went over a few times for some of the images (such as the outlines of the peony).

DSC_0378 (1)
 I love that Distress Inks allow you to control the amount of water when you color. I think a regular paint brush works beautifully. I truly have fun with color-layering and I hope that you take up the latest Virginia's View Challenge (see here).

Lastly, I want to mention that Craftsy class sale ends today.
s
 (click on photo to take classes)
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 In case you are shopping, the code for Simon Says Stamp is "Breezy".
It will take $5 off for purchase over $5 or more (valid till June 15)!  Btw, you might want to check out what's on sale over Simon Says Stamp here


15 comments:

rcwidow (Linda) said...

This is amazing! I saw the card that you sent my mother this weekend. Gorgeous! Hugs.

Cecilia Hsieh said...

Gorgeous card Virginia! I'm obsessed with this stampset too!!

Agata Dagmara Pfister said...

You did an awesome job with the stamp set and those trusty inks! Love them, too!

Isabelle Siry said...

Another gorgeous card Virginia ! I love this stamp set too, I just received it ! I also love this technique, distress inks are so cool for that ! Did you also use Distress to stamp the outlines ? I supposed you did it at the end once everything was dried. Thanks for sharing such beautiful cards ! Izzy Scrap (http://izzyscrap.com)

Teresa Doyle said...

Just stunning Virginia, OH I love this set!

LauraJane:) said...

LOVELY depth of color on this one!!

Miriam Prantner said...

Wonderful depth and richness of color from all the layering!

conil said...

These florals are so versatile as are the Distress Inks. You certainly use them to outstanding effect on this gorgeous card.

Harriet said...

I think I will give my Distress inks a try on this stamp. I do own it and love it and use it lots but never considered using distress inks. Thanks for the idea. Your card is so lovely, your eye for color is really exceptional.

Kara Lynne said...

You created gorgeous flowers with your Distress Inks, Virginia! This card is so beautiful! Summer around our house is super busy, but I hope to get a little time to visit more and play along with your new challenge!

Lisa said...

Swoon!!! Beautifully done Virginia!

Grá O'Neill said...

Beautiful card, love the stamping & colouring :)

Grá O'Neill said...

Beautiful card, love the stamping & colouring :)

Valerija said...

So beautiful!

Karen B. said...

Fantastic results from the distress inks and a beautiful card.