Thursday, July 7, 2016

Color-Layering Stamps

Hello friends!
I am popping in to share a (new-to-me) company's stamp set. 
s
Concord and 9th Flourish Clear Stamp set.

As you can see, this stamp set comes in all solid images and provides instant colors and design for your creation. You can stamp each image alone, or layering them. The possibilities are endless really.

I decided to do some color layering and started out with the branch, leaves, flowers and hearts...
I slowly worked my way up.  
Hello Friend

My thoughts on color-layering:

~composition: once I have the design set, I used my MISTI to position the stamp and test it out on a piece of scrap paper.
~start with the lightest colors: when stamping, you can vary a little bit of color each time. It's easier to go darker when you start with the lightest (not the other way around).
~imperfection: color-layering is very forgiving. You can always correct the colors by stamping some more.
~depth of colors: the more colors you add, the more interesting and depth the card gives.
~use of inks: obviously, the more ink pads you have , the more options you have. BUT, that doesn't mean you need lots. You can use just one ink pad each color. You can stamp multiple times for a richer colors/hue.
~choice of stamps: if you are a beginner in color-layering, choose a stamp set like this one. It is easy to line up and even if you mess up, the fun and whimsical look is very forgiving and can still look AWESOME.

DSC_0365 (5)

Last but not the least, I heavily rely on MISTI for this kind of task. If you do not own a MISTI, you can still use stamp positioner (such as Fiskars Stamp Press ) to get this look. It may not be as easy, but it is still ado-able.  I hope to come up with more designs from this Flourish set and will definitely share soon again.

Thanks so much for stopping by!


15 comments:

Rahmat said...

Lovely colors you chose to layer the stamps Virginia! I love the addition of the PP at the bottom!

Dawn Turley said...

fabulous Virginia.

Lynn said...

Absolutely gorgeous Virginia!

Michele Kovack said...

Such a pretty card!!

Karen B. said...

Love your color choices! Pretty card.

Melissa Friedrich said...

Beautiful color combo on your pretty card! Thanks for the tips on this layering technique!

Harriet said...

Excellent advice Virginia. This card's colors are really wonderful. Color layering, although beautiful, can be challenging. I like this set, clean and simple.

Ted said...

Oh gosh, this is gorgeous! Also, thanks for your tips on color layering. :) Great advice!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

Gorgeous!

Barb said...

So pretty, Virginia! Love the colors you chose! ♥

conil said...

Lovely...your inking is gorgeous...you are really giving your MISTI a work out. And the results you get are outstanding.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Such a fun card with the great layering set, Virginia! Just love the hearts falling from the corner!

Lisa said...

Trying to catch up after vacation! Loved each and every card you made while I was away!!

Nicole Parmentier said...

wow this is awesome! I love the colors in the leaves. This card made me think of the illustrations from Eric Carle which I also love!

Sheila H said...

Great layering!