Monday, August 22, 2016

A Collage Card

Hello friends! 
I don't know about you, but it is so satisfying to make collage card.
 What is collage? According to Wiki:
A collage may sometimes include magazine and newspaper clippings, ribbons, paint, bits of colored or handmade papers, portions of other artwork or texts, photographs and other found objects, glued to a piece of paper or canvas. The origins of collage can be traced back hundreds of years, but this technique made a dramatic reappearance in the early 20th century as an art form of novelty. The term collage was coined by both Georges Braque and Pablo Picasso in the beginning of the 20th century when collage became a distinctive part of modern art.

vsh

                Verdure                         Script                      Hydrangea 

How do you approach in assembling one card with many images? For me, I started by gathering my stamps and took one bit of every stamp and put it together....and you've got THIS!

Miss You

My card may look a little complicated, but it really isn't.
Here is my process:
1. stamp and emboss: each image stamped in multiple colors and then clear-embossed 
2. water-coloring: this is the funnest part! 
3. add droplets and splatter: this may seem intimidating. However, a collage design is very forgiving for this. You totally own your artistic license! 
4. it's all in the details: the stenciled dots may not seem necessary, but since the surface is flat, why not enhance it with some extra subtle textures without adding the bulk?

miss you (close-up#1)

As you can tell, this card is not built in one sitting. Do allow more time to add layers and colors in each step. You can't hurry love, so why would we hurry out beloved stamps?

If you like cards like this, I will try to make a video!! Yes, Virginia? Or no? 
miss you (2)

 I am happy to report that Stephanie arrived home safe and sound yesterday. Her experience in Uganda will take her far and we are so thankful that she has this opportunity to visit such a faraway country. I appreciate your thoughtful comments and encouragement.

Lastly, I got a mention in this video! How cool is that!  You must check out PB and J video if you have not done so.

Thanks for stopping by!

21 comments:

rcwidow (Linda) said...

This is beautiful! Your collage is a work of art! Glad your daughter is back home safe and sound. Hugs

Clemente Batan said...

Yes, please make a video. I would like to see your steps in action. Lovely card!-Maria Giselle

conil said...

You have this technique down pat, just as Jill Foster says. Love how you add the texture and embellish it. It's so lovely. Welcome home Stephanie, world traveler.

Nicole Parmentier said...

What a bright and cheerfull collage! Most of the collages have more of a vintage look and feel, I love that you gave it your colorfull Virginia look!!

Nora N. said...

I would love to see a video on this. I used to collage with stamps years ago but forgot how to do it so that it looks nice. I LOVE this card and the colors you chose!!

Ksenija said...

Perfect card! Love the added texture

alexandra s.m. said...

WOW! This is spectacular Virginia!
Love your beautiful card!
xx

Bhavana said...

It looks beautiful. Loved it :)

Mary George said...

I anxiously await your video. I want to try this! It looks exciting.

Harriet said...

I am looking forward to your video. Virginia, your card is spectacular. Your artist eye and imagination are working overtime. I like this card very much. The colors are so lovely, but its the collection of stamps that truly makes it extraordinary!!!!

Lisa said...

This card is oozing with summer prettiness Virginia!!

Cecilia Hsieh said...

Beautiful card Virginia!

Dawn Turley said...

An awesome collage Virginia. You have done a stunning card.

Susan Plichta said...

What an awesome card, Virginia. I would love to see your technique in a video. Thanks for sharing.

Linda S. said...

Yes please, I would very much enjoy watching a video of how you created this beautiful card. I know it is difficult and time consuming, so I am sending my thanks early.

Teresa Doyle said...

Another beautiful card Virginia.
Yes, I saw "that" PB&J video and I also saw your original vid. at the time you shared it. You shouldn't be surprised but I am sure you are flattered that they mentioned it. You SHOULD be, it was wonderful and so was their's! If I had a scenic stamp (and I hope to) I will try it myself. I have both videos pinned for reference when I get one.
CUDOS to YOU!

Sue D said...

Beautiful card... love it. Yes, please do make a video!!!

jennifer delauter said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! I would love to see a video on this. I love your videos and your cards!! I have loved your cards since I first saw them on StampNation. (By the way, I love your series on there for "stretching your stamps.") You have a wonderful way of almost bringing the images on your cards to life. I especially love your one stamp/die 3 ways on your blog; it's kind of like an extension of your series on StampNation.I love learning how to get the most use out of my cardmaking supplies!! I may not have the specific stamp or die that you are using, but it gives me ideas for how to use what I do have!

Miriam Prantner said...

Great mix of images and textures!

jordanbev5@yahoo.com said...

This is so beautiful!

Judy Sander said...

I love cards like this and Yes, Virginia, would love to see a video showing the sequence of the layers. Your colors are awesome as is the design.