Monday, May 22, 2017

Dry-Embossing with A Die

Hello friends!
I am popping in with another fun card share today.
Recently I fell in love with the look with the letter press/dry embossed background. I love the ease and design by using a stamp/die. The following card is a good example.
Altenew-build-a-flower(Magnolia)_Virginia


Of course, back in the day (circa 2009) when I started stamping, using dry embossing folders was all the rage! Remember those days? I was constantly on the look out in collecting every embossing folders (Cuttlebug's especially) that came in my way. These days? I still have them, but I have now used them way less and shifted my love in using dies for the dry-embossing.
a
Shop Altenew here
Shop Simon Says Stamp here

Today's card was created with Altenew's Extra Special.
DSC_0368

With the dry-emboss mat, such as Tan Embossing Mat, creating a letter press look can not be easier.

you are an inspiration!

The order of my Cuttlebug plates (from bottom to top): C plate, B plate, Tan Embossing Mat, stamped images on paper (with paper facing you and die facing down), Matching Die and B plate.
you are an inspiration!

I did all the stamping before I run and die and embossing mat. I also kept in mind about how I would run through the die cut machine and came up with this seemingly complex design.

you are an inspiration!-001
We card-makers love this type of subtlety, isn't it?
I hope that you find my post helping and inspiring.

(click photo to shop)
Altenew Best Dad Bundle
 See sales items here. 
$7 off on sales order over $100 with the code "SHIP7OFF"

Thank you so much for spending some time with me here.

23 comments:

Cindy C. said...

Love the look! I've always wanted to try this technique, thanks for the inspiration Virginia!

Denise Bryant said...

I haven't gotten around to trying this yet, but I'm happy to have the Cuttlebug sandwich info! I too collected many embossing folders!
Love the letterpress look on your beautiful cards!

conil said...

It's amazing the depth this "letter-press" technique creates...of course, the stamping is perfect, as usual. This card is one of your best...the colors are lovely and those special Virginia-touches make it shine.

Betty Keefe said...

beautiful card Virginia - love this look too - just have to remember to try it more often!

Glennis said...

That looks so interesting, you obviously need the stamp and matching die to achieve this. I do not have these sets as yet, but will keep this in mind in case I do.

Harriet said...

I've never tried 'dry embossing'---BUT---your beautiful, beautiful card has inspired me to try. Thank you.

Lisa Elton said...

I always enjoy the wonderful techniques and tips you share Virginia!! This card is beautiful. Wonderful colors on the flowers!

Shelly said...

This is beautiful, Virginia! Thanks for sharing your tips on how to do this! :)

Judy1223 said...

Virginia, this is beautiful! I still love my embossing folders, I just still love the texture they can add to white space. I also love this technique and apprecite the Cuttlebug plate recipe -- I'm off to try it!

Judy1223 said...

Hi Virginia, I'm back! I just tried it but I had to use a few different plates...I did (from bottom to top): A, B, tan mat, paper face up with die face down, B. Worked perfectly! Thanks again for the inspiration!

Nora N. said...

This is so cool!! I need to try this with some of the stamps and dies I own. It is such a fun technique. Love the pretty colors you used and thank you for the order of the stamping then embossing. I am going to try to give this a whirl this week!!

pcm said...

beautiful!

Dawn Turley said...

Awesome Virginia. I love the subtle embossing.

Teresa Doyle said...

WOW Virginia, this is gorgeous, I def. need to try this!

Melissa Friedrich said...

Really beautiful card, love this letterpress look!

Purple Princess said...

Very cool technique!

Susan R. Opel said...

OH MY WORD! This makes me want to RUN to my craft room. SO cool. VLu!

Sue LD said...

Very pretty--I will have to try this. I still use my embossing folders.

Pat Hoban said...

Thanks for the great tips, Virginia! Love your gorgeous card!

McStamper said...

Thanks so much for sharing this technique. Your cards are beautiful.

Daria Z. said...

Love these beautiful cards, Virginia! Thanks for the "sandwich" - I'm going to have to play with my stamps and dies.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Just love your embossed flowers, Virginia!!

Karen D. said...

so gorgeous mf..love how you used the die to enhance the flowers.
xx Karen